Music found in Waking Titan

A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having.

Here is a complete list (EDIT as of August 7) of all the music that has been discovered so far.

Kavinsky - First Blood
• YouTube code at the bottom of a memo

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World

Franka Potente - Believe
• “84.190.188” link at the bottom of page

Arcade Fire - Supersymmetry

Kraftwerk - Computer Love
• YouTube code at the bottom of a report

Huey Lewis and the News - Back In Time
• YouTube code on “Reinventing Communication” section of Superlumina-6c.com

Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart (LP Version)

Peter Schilling - Major Tom (Coming Home)
• Lyrics in comment from “waking titan” on 23Skidoo’s Twitch feed

Metallica - The Call of Ktulu (HD)
• Rot16 coded YouTube link in “Thank You” message from the mailing address survey.

Iggy Pop - The Passenger
• YouTube code at the bottom of End of Phase 2 memo

Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride 1968 HQ
• Inputting SEMAPHORE into the WT console redirects to a memo with YouTube code at the bottom

Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) (Alt. Version)
• YouTube code at the bottom of a memo from JJ Wong from unlocking the ninth glyph

MacforADay made a post Analyzing common traits between the Youtube videos and how they relate to the themes of Waking Titan. He touches on some solid thematic ideas, so check out that post if you haven’t already.

I made this post to keep the discussion going. Are all of these videos little more then flavor text for super-sleuths, or is there something more to be found here?

The ever-silent Old Gods’ profile shows a location of: 49°51′S, 128°34′W, which just so happens to be R’lyeh, the home of Cthulhu, whom we have apparently just called (via Metallica).

¯\(º_o)/¯

At the very least, here is a tiddy set of music data for prodding.
Cheers fellow travelers!

Note:

This topic is archived, for continuation of Season 2, you can check the new topic here:

11 Likes

also did you notice old gods profile pic is of Nyarlathotep a H.P. lovecraft god picture was done by jens heimdahl’s

1 Like

Metallica also made a song called “Atlas, Rise !”

5 Likes

and one called orion

3 Likes

Lets not forget Master of Puppets :laughing:

6 Likes

I take it to be the ARG “Rick-rolling” us. It gives us a link we think will be important, but it just ends up being a catchy song to jam out to. There’s more to it than that, but what I’m saying is they don’t lead to anything. It’s just flavoring like you said.

2 Likes

If you don’t know what Rick-rolling is, click this link and it will explain everything!

1 Like

didn’t know were to post but sense it is in reference to a song and I found it very fitting to the theme of things

“These Great Old Ones … were not composed altogether of flesh and blood. They had shape - for did not this star-fashioned image prove it? - but that shape was not made of matter. When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live. But although They no longer lived, They would never really die. They all lay in stone houses in Their great city of R’lyeh, preserved by the spells of mighty Cthulhu for a glorious surrection when the stars and the earth might once more be ready for Them.”

• H. P. Lovecraft, “The Call of Cthulhu,” 1926

♫ ♪ woo, a Waking Titan soundtrack in the making ♫ ♪

1 Like

I can’t believe I fell for that! And loved it!!!

1 Like

I honestly feel like these songs are a sweet playlist for No Man’s Sky gameplay, in general.
However, in an attempt to find some connections, I tried to tie them all to videogames. This is most likely pointless coincidence, and you could do this with any group of songs. Either way, I feel like it could help to find some more connected themes.

kavinsky - first blood: outrun (1987 Outrun Passing Breeze Arcade Old School Game Playthrough Retro Game - YouTube)

david bowie - man who sold the world: Metal Gear Solid V the phantom pain

franka potente - believe: Robert Ludlum’s The Bourne Conspiracy (this one is a stretch bc it’s the singer not the song who is connected)
more likely, Run Lola Run is the video game reference, as some refer to it as a “video game movie” Student Q&A: Run Lola Run as video game | CMLT 214 Spring 2009

arcade fire - supersymmetry
New (funny) video game scene - YouTube (connection to the film, Her; here’s a scene with a video game, but the entire premise of the movie seems relevant, tbh).

kraftwerk - computer love: replika (an ai app, where you teach an ai to be more human).

huey lewis & the news - back in time: Back to the Future (1985 video game) - Wikipedia
side note: arcade fire covered this song

deee-lite - groove is in the heart: Sega’s Space Channel 5

peter schilling - major tom
Deutschland 83 (tv show) - i couldn’t find a video game reference.

metallica - call of ktulu: doom e2m2 (Doom OST - E2M2 - The Demons from Adrians Pen - YouTube)

2 Likes

Those are good connections, I did notice the deee lite thing myself on another thread, but i feel it’s just general sci fi themes based around time loop stuff for all of these.
The Cthulhu one is probably a big personal interest of the Puppet Masters because they scatter Lovecraft references in their other ARG’s.
I remember finding the Kraftwerk one in Phase 1 and left the youtube playlist going for an hour while I investigated those Leighton videos :stuck_out_tongue: Definitely got me in the ARG investigation mood.

3 Likes

The end of Phase 2 memo has “The Passenger” by Iggy Pop

5 Likes

Glad you posted this here. It’s not even noted on GD-- as of yet. I love that we have a thread (or two) dedicated to just the music that is cleverly laced throughout WT.

1 Like

Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride

3 Likes

Just wondering if we might be getting in spaceship music. Perhaps procedural radio music we can select to our taste as we travel across diferent systems. Still wondering too if the song names point to something in a cryptic way.

1 Like

some Philip Glass music here: Philip Glass - Glassworks (complete) - YouTube

this pastebin has other music references too
Group #01

1. looking over a four leaf clover 1924
  2. C4=261.6Hz
  3. E MAJOR : B MINOR
  4. Love Shack: 162 BPM
  5. I Will Survive: 7m 22sec
  6. My Funny Valentine: 1937
  7. Hit the Deck: 352 times
  8. Philip Glass: 1+1
2 Likes

OMG, that had me dying! lmao!! xD

1 Like

latest pdf

1 Like

I had to put the original version of that song in my Waking Titan video playlist. MM’s rendition is just too disturbing for me…

1 Like