What I did was take some screenshots and then draw on top of that to make my initial sketches, then scaled everything to the correct physical size (my goal is to print as a 2’ model).
Once I figured out the camera controls it became a lot easier to go out in space and take all the plan screenshots (Left, Right, Top, Bottom, Font, Rear), and go from there.
It takes a long time to get all the geometry right. You should’ve seen some of my early attempts at it. It was horrible, and I had to take breaks. I still can’t get the stupid Sentinel drone body right. It looks like a salt shaker right now!
I am currently using Solidworks 2016 for this.