Light No Fire

17 Likes

(2) Light No Fire Announcement Trailer - YouTube

10 Likes

AAAAHHHH!!! This is exactly what I was hoping their new game would be! “A procedurally genrated fantasy game like Skyrim” and that looks almost exactly like what this is! I can’t believe it! I’m so excited!

11 Likes

I’m so excited for this! It will be awesome playing that in multiplayer.

11 Likes
9 Likes

In a pre-release interview about NMS, someone asked Sean if they could shrink their procedural tech down to a game the size of Skyrim. Seems like he and the team took that to heart and decided to do it

11 Likes

I love how the dragon mounting animation takes almost exactly the same amount of time as getting into our ships does. It really is like they reskinned No Man’s Sky into a fantasy game, and there’s nothing wrong with that, I love it

11 Likes

We get to use the magics too! And the game logo looks like the atlas. XD

Looks like the atlas yeeted us into a fantasy world. XD

10 Likes

An Ai Generated Digital Cake

6 Likes

Here me out…

Guessing the plot, Light No Fire and No Mans Sky are set in the same universe where there are two AI machines simulating a different universe. Only this AI has a different problem…

I mean, who’s to say that the Atlas’ creator didnt create more than one? :smiley:

As for my initial impressions, im not a big fan of reskinned games all that much. LNF definitely has its own identity separate from NMS just looking at it, but I just hope that it doesn’t “feels” like No Mans Sky. The dragon riding seems like reskinned ships and im not sure how im going to feel about that :joy: it needs to feel like your riding a beast.

Also, im not big on fantasy games with magic. In fact, I actively avoid these kinds of games. So im hoping it doesnt have any of that. If it does, i’ll be sticking with NMS.

5 Likes

Light No Fire – a fantasy game from the makers of No Man’s Sky

6 Likes

8 Likes

The “constant fight for survival” may well be the “not for me” point. Time will tell.

4 Likes

I love that it says “one where you’re not the hero”. I got kind of tired being the destined dragonborne-that-no-one-can-solve-problems-without in Skyrim and other games. I just want to be a lone crazy wizard brewing potions in the forest

6 Likes

If you’re interested in listening to me ramble and speculate about Light No Fire and get hyped, here’s that:

4 Likes

Hmmm… Not much that can be inferred from the trailer about gameplay. I hope it can be soloed. Many multiplayer survival games nowadays basically make co-op a requirement, otherwise you’re too easy prey for other groups. It does sound as though exploration is still the focus here, which might be interesting.

But I’m also somewhat sceptical. They’re going over the top a bit again with the scale here. An earth-sized world means huge areas of the same biome (think the rain forrest, the Sahara dessert or the Siberian tundra - just hundreds or thousands of miles of the same biome). So either we’ll get shrunken down biomes repeating, in which case a smaller world would serve just as well, or we get the real deal, which I’m not sure would works as a real-time game, dragon or not…
Also, an earth-sized world needs a darn lot of cultures to actually provide some engagement. It would probably work best to go for a classical Conan-style sword-and-sorcery thing that is mostly reminiscent of the bronze age rather than medieval high fantasy a la skyrim, that way it’s much easier to throw in disconnected procedurally generated tribes and settlements. I think I would enjoy that kind of vibe, where the narrative structure has a more “Adventure of the week” kind of feeling. If there’s any narrative structure to speak about at all.

So yeah, gonna see what this’ll be, I guess. Can’t help but notice that there’s no announcement of a release date yet, so this’ll probably still be cooking a year or two.

8 Likes

8 Likes

Neat stuff I’m noticing while rewatching:

• Giant Kraken!
  • Hang gliders
  • Giant scorpion. Looks like we might be getting some decent monsters to tussle with.
  • At 1:20 to the left, looks like shadows… that are actually creatures. That’s a cool idea.

Forrests still seem a bit dispersed. I wonder if they manage to get some actual thicket going in places…

11 Likes

This brings me to the proc gen question…once encountered, it stays right? For everyone? So it will generate when the first person encounters it…how long before the whole planet is generated? Will it be the same for everyone? I have questions…how will everyone play? What is the max number of players at once?

8 Likes

I would assume it is a fixed seed, like the universe in NMS. I.e. you technically could generate multiple versions of the world, but it’s probably not going to be an officially supported feature. If they placed additional hand-crafted content in the world (a la starfield) it wouldn’t be a good idea to change the seed anyways…

9 Likes