Latest Space Missions (& Other Science Stuff)

Smithsonian: Why Scientists Waited 50 Years to Study This Moon Dust.

4 Likes

Well, I slept thru it but apparently the James Webb launch was a success. :clap: :clap: :clap:

4 Likes

The launch sure was a success! Now we wait for 6 months or so before we get to see if this was truly a success as a whole.

4 Likes

Damn, I hadn’t realised it needed that long to reach its final orbit. Are they ion-boosting it up to final altitude?

2 Likes

7 Likes

Ok, no, it’s 6 months until it goes fully operational (I know you didn’t say anything else, I just misinterpreted). L2 insertion in T+29 days. That sounds a lot more reasonable.

4 Likes

I am sorry, I should have been clearer. Either way, for those now wondering, here it is explained in detail:

3 Likes

Those are some pretty cool posters! I am stealing … downloading them even!

4 Likes

The happiest X-mas I’ve ever had! So glad that it has been finally launched.
As they say JWST is farther than Moon’s orbit now.
Here is the latest news

2 Likes

Cool posters, thanks for sharing!
They motivate me to study space more and more :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

Just imagine that it accidentally meets an asteroid :grimacing: :grimacing:
Is it actually possible?

1 Like

Like a needle in a haystack. Space is big. Really big. Most big things are accounted for. L2 orbital position is well beyond the man-made space junk yard orbiting our planet. I would not lose any sleep over the idea.

1 Like

Possible, yes. Probable, no.

1 Like

The other side of the Moon

There is an assumption that the Moon is an artificially created celestial body. Some higher intelligence or other more advanced civilization created the Moon for the balance of our planet in outer space, which provided us with life on Earth.
How do you think the exploration of the Moon by humanity can harm this mechanism? And what’s on the other side of the Moon?

1 Like

I have no idea who holds that assumption, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t factor into any risk calculations by anybody…

1 Like

Nevertheless, I think a lot of people are interested in how the other side of the Moon looks like, and what it can hide

1 Like

Uhm… We know what the far side of the moon looks like. Have done for quite some time now. Also, the JW is not exactly optimised for lunar observation, so I doubt its capacity will get abused for that. The moon doesn’t give out that much infrared radiation…

2 Likes

The far side of the moon is heavily cratered which makes sense.

3 Likes

SciTechDaily: Due to Precision Launch, NASA Says Webb Space Telescope’s Fuel Likely To Last Way More Than 10 Years.