Journey to the Savage Planet (New alien world exploring game)

Fans of No Man’s Sky (I’ve heard there are a few around here) will likely enjoy this new indie game about exploring bizarre alien worlds: Journey to the Savage Planet. Below is a video to show you what the game is like. Feel free to discuss the game here.

5 Likes

Thanks @MacForADay! I was wanting to know more about this game.
Meat Buddy wins over Grob with a 3 :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: rating! :laughing:

4 Likes

OK, Mac, you persuaded me. This one’s going on my list. :smiley:

2 Likes

Love it,

Beat the main story, was rushing, now I have all the exploring to do!

5/5 imoa

XDragon

2 Likes

PS4, XBoxOne, Epic Store until next year when it will be on Steam… :weary:

2 Likes

Oh dear. Developers must be really unhappy with Valve - by all accounts, The Outer Worlds lost loads of sales by doing this, but they still went ahead. Now we’ve got another one. What’s going on?

2 Likes

Yeah. The only thing they really accomplish is hurting the customer.
It is the same with the whole Disney+, Netfix, CBS All Access situation. Sooner or later they have to realize that we, the customers, can only buy into so much. We have a limit and for most people I know, that limit is very low.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Developers have some grievances with steam, but that’s not the issue. The issue is that epic is making offers to small developers for exclusivity that they basically can’t refuse. If you have a small, young company and Epic hands you an exclusivity deal, it’s usually gonna be enough money to keep the company afloat for a year, and a year of not having to worry about money is a little slice of paradise in that situation.
Also, in case the game has a publisher, it’s the publisher getting the money, and the developer doesn’t even get a say in the matter (this is what happened to the outer worlds).

3 Likes

Except that in this case, Typhoon has been bought out by Google…here is a quote from Engadget
Journey to the Savage Planet is a tad bittersweet, though, because it’s the first and only game that Typhoon will make as an indie developer. Google acquired the team last month to bolster its Stadia studio in Montreal, led by former Assassin’s Creed producer Sébastien Puel. For now, it’s unclear if the roughly 30-person group will be working autonomously or as part of a larger group. If it’s the latter, we may never see the Typhoon logo again.

3 Likes

Going on this, they did release the game on their own before being bought up, so pre-existing contracts they had with Epic would remain in effect. It’s likely google will renegotiate to put the game on stadia, but that won’t affect steam either.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’m not a big gamer so my impressions are based on the few games that get my attention enough to buy them.
I’m at about 50% through this game.
I’ve explored (& then re-explored as tech enables further access) & I’m loving the strangeness. I quickly chose not to look at any spoiler vids & I’m very glad I did. There’s been a couple of face-palm moments but it’s good fun.
:warning: spoilers

The title is a bit misleading as it isnt much of a ‘savage planet’ at all but rather a weird alien cross Japanese fantasy type of place. I love it though.
The combat is more puzzle solving than intense battle although upgrading is really important to ensure you can achieve your ambitions.
Orange Goo should be hunted for EVERYWHERE & activating teleporters as soon as you see them is a good way to avoid repeating entire sections again. The advice you get at the begining about checking every nook & cranny is very important.
I didn’t realise there were extra tasks in the journal to click on that provide boosts to quality of life. I also found that there are lots of funnies in the Kindex description for discoveries that are worth reading through.
I’m currently lost somewhere in the upper floaties near a volcanic floating island… gets confusing up there. :laughing:

5 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

Spacer so that you can split your videos.

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Two things that I lack are speed and coordination.

2 Likes