Is Sirius (the star) connected?

Having the next broadcast appear on Sirius XM was a surprise for many of us. Could the choice of network be a clue itself?

Sirius is the brightest star in the sky, and was well-known to ancient cultures. The ancient Egyptians used it to determine when the flooding of the Nile would occur, as Sirius disappears for 70 days before reappearing in the summer. Back then it appeared in Cairo on July 19, but that was over 3000 years ago. Today it shows up in early to mid-August in North America, England, and Europe.

Disappearing from view and then reappearing sounds like a certain game developer we know. Could the rising of Sirius hold a clue to a future event in the ARG?

1 Like

I Siriusly hope so.

4 Likes

I dug up a few fun links as there’s too much to list.

Here’s one with sci-fi links:

Here’s a fun novel (outside of foundation) that stands out to me:

No stone unturned :wink:

1 Like

In ancient Greek times, Sirius was thought to be the dog of Orion.

From The Iliad:

Sirius rises late in the dark, liquid sky
On summer nights, star of stars,
Orion’s Dog they call it, brightest
Of all, but an evil portent, bringing heat
And fevers to suffering humanity.

In an older translation Sirius is only implicitly referenced by “Orion’s Dog”, but speaks of the “red air” it brings, as ancient astronomers thought it was a red star.

Through the thick gloom of some tempestuous night,
Orion’s dog (the year when autumn weighs),
And o’er the feebler stars exerts his rays;
Terrific glory! for his burning breath
Taints the red air with fevers, plagues, and death.

While probably just a coincidence, I can’t help but think of the eerie, red glow of Atlas in this context, and even the foreboding reddish hue of the glyphs we’ve activated.

1 Like