Future Update Speculation

Soooo… today, most likely. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There were some redistibutables in the update but, nothing else that I can see…QS at 78%. No patch notes. No community mission.

5 Likes

I’m seeing 9.2 Gb.

If that’s for Apple, why are they updating my PC game?

6 Likes

No update on Playstation yet

5 Likes

Because it probably required quite some changes to the core engine. You don’t really want to maintain two different games for two different platforms. That’s the way it was done way back, when ports could end up being hardly the same game…

9 Likes

Based on Sean’s tweets, it looks like Mac is the only thing in this update, but something else is coming VERY soon. Which could mean in a month, who knows?

8 Likes

I have a hunch that the overall “Apple” update was broken into 2 parts, the Mac update and an IOS update (since they did just add a lot of references to IOS in this update.) I’m guessing once they iron out the IOS version, they’ll release the Crucible expedition alongside it.

8 Likes

Where was Crucible expedition mentioned? (Not sure I like that name, sounds like it could be another permadeath one)

5 Likes

The icon for the expedition found in the files and translated:
FxiDgIlakAIYQYC

6 Likes

I felt like I was being sacrificed to the Atlas gods in a couple of the expeditions already.

7 Likes

I see. So the visible changes are for Apple - but the changes under the hood are preparation for something yet to be announced.

7 Likes

Changes to rendering

5 Likes

Hopefully it’s Crucible as in foundry - making something from metal. Like… ohhh, just as a guess… a robot?

7 Likes

The word “crucible” is defined as a severe test or trial ; alternately, a container in which metals or other substances are subjected to high temperatures.

8 Likes

Yes, your first definition is the one I was thinking of. However, now that I’ve seen the datamined image of the “autophauge” icon, I think it could be the second.

6 Likes

I think perhaps it is both.
Another PC update incoming now

7 Likes

Got it. Only small - 45 Mb.

Too early for a patch? We haven’t been able to do anything with the last update yet.
I thought it might be the trigger for a new expedition - but nothing so far.

5 Likes

Given this is HG, that’s probably part of it. But even if there was nothing added, supporting an additional platform would have required some core changes, and you want that core to be the same on all platforms, keeping platform-specific code to a minimum and usually out in the interfaces. So even if there’s no other changes, it is very much in the developers interest that the shared code base on the remaining platforms gets updated even if there’s no functional changes for them at all.

6 Likes

Usually Sean is pretty literal in his temporal meanings, and the capitalisation of “very” makes me think “probably next week”.

7 Likes

I find that very likely at this point. I just noticed that the servers appear to have the Crucible file’s ready to go since they’re reporting the next expedition (start time is a placeholder rn like previous expeditions), so HG is likely holding out for whatever else may be coming “very” soon.

6 Likes