Frontiers (Updates and Patches)

The x.xx.x release isn’t new, HG are no strangers to conserving version numbers. Some of the Beyond version was the weirdest, most bodged together versioning I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

This, most likely. 4.0 is a big marketing yes, and it isn’t something you throw away, especially when launching on 3 new platforms.

4 Likes

x.99.1 on all platforms makes sense, 4.01 on old gen platforms seems unnecessary.

I struggle to think that it marks the end of old gen consoles, (like one marks “old and dying” trees on a property to be cut), because I think these old gen consoles still got some good life left in them, (still producing fruitage and providing shade), and for numerous players all across the world.

New gen has the advantages, but comes with the price tags, and most homes are low to moderate income.

So if 4.0 really is to release on Oct 7, seeing HG change a 4.01, 4.02, 4.03 to 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 will be really odd, and unless we think of any other reasons for this, I will assume that perhaps it was just intended to stir some conversation about what’s coming, and hint at a… ‘WHOPPING 4.0!!!’

But I will still question that odd numbering.

2 Likes

I get sick of it because this debate comes up every year, and yet every year Hello Games continues to support every platform No Man’s Sky is on with updates. I’m sick of discussing it when there is 0 evidence it will happen.

4 Likes

I agree that old gen consoles are just as much platforms as new gen consoles - they have their audiences.

1 Like

Somehow I do not remember x.xx.x - I wonder what update era that was in? - I only seem to recall x.x and x.xx.

Are you referring to x.xa, x.xb, x.xc - Numbers followed by letters? - That’s all I remember, but was it Beyond?

Also - Was any of the above in conjunction with a physical release? - Curious.

1 Like

In fact, are there any platforms left?

4 Likes
  1. Stadia - (ie. cloud gaming)
  2. Apple Smartphones
  3. Android Smartphones

Good news is…

Only 48 more days until Oct 7. - ((Wake me up when September ends))

5 Likes

Not sure, are they officially supporting Linux now? :laughing:

7 Likes

cant recall but I think Beyond came out 3 days before physical release on xbox (correct me if wrong)…would love to get a dump copy of the Nintendo switch version, early see whats preloaded on it. going to guess 3.99 with a day one 4.0…but never know. a buggy 4.0 might be on it too.

4 Likes

Not unless you count Steam Deck but, NMS runs on Linux just fine

5 Likes

I don’t know if PlayStation restricts version numbering digits to decimals — PC typically doesn’t.

The ”digits” between the periods are not decimals. Four dot one and four dot ten are very different.

Version number “digits” can contain numbers, hyphens, letters, even whole words like alpha/beta/patch… It’s the dev team’s choice what works best for them, it’s not “maths”.

No rule stops developers from releasing a “playstation 4.1” in parallel with a “PC 4.0”. In HG’s case, the number is not visible in the advertised product name anyway.

(It’s more of a problem for the web team because non-decimal version numbers don’t auto-sort in menus or lists, and cross-platform mismatches are harder to document… :stuck_out_tongue:)

You can find such mismatches unaesthetic, but it’s not the worst thing that developers have done to get a release out! :laughing:

7 Likes

I have a feeling it might be pre loaded with 4.0 but a day 1 patch does make sense. They left Next on the Xbox disk, and when someone got the disk early, they managed to leak the entire update. So either they learnt from that and won’t pre load the physical editions, or leave it in as a tease?

7 Likes

Oh what a wonderful world that would be… :tired_face:

7 Likes

Anyone got friends in retail ? lol

4 Likes

Can we confirm the following as true? - If so, this would explain everything. :+1:

From conversation outside the forum: - Person 1: “Maybe PS4 doesn’t support two dots in version numbers.” - Person 2: “Your argument makes sense. Sony doesn’t.” - Person 3: “It’s SONY, unconventional numerical values aren’t eligible… My guess: HG put a gap & left 4.0 open for the future” :blush:

This would mean that HG is not purposely hinting anything with the odd PS4 numbering, but is instead doing so out of necessity. Nonetheless, 3.99.1 emphasizes HG holding back a major 4.0 — and 4.01 confirms it.

5 Likes

well that has been the consensus I think for ages is that Switch will be 4.0, or at least be the day one version.

4 Likes

They could have went with 4.01 everywhere instead of 3.99.1, but doing so might have signaled “4.0 not happening” more strongly, and that would certainly seem to be an undesired result. They could have went with 3.991 on PS4, but… Have we ever seen x.xxx on PS4? Or is x.xx the only allowed numbering? - (I’m on PC, so I can’t check that.) - Which causes me to wonder: What kind of numbering is allowed on PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox X/S? - Are the same numbering schemes enforced across all Sony games, regardless of whether old gen or new gen consoles? What about Xbox old gen / new gen games and consoles, likewise? - Curious questions. :thinking:

Edit: Worded more coherently. Sorry, lol.

2 Likes

Dude…relax…think this issue has been covered and then some.
its just PS4.

4 Likes

I put this out there for those that want to investigate. :nerd_face: It’s way too much fun!

2 Likes