Expedition 15 Aquarius

I had a long & leasurely day wandering & fishing after spending some time in the first & 2nd systems focusing on aquiring a better ship (instead of just grabbing an old rewarded one).
Used my newest save & was glad to have sent through a bunch of warp hyper cores.

Very cruisey & laid back expedition.
Played entirely without multiplayer with zero glitches…
However…
I’m stumped on the ‘Storm Fishies’ one. It’s the only one I can’t get a hit on.
Tried all my baits. Sat through several storms. Used each rod & traps. Tried different spots.
Nothing.
Not a single scrawny minnow.
What’s the trick? Did I miss something?

5 Likes

Have yet to focus on the stormy fish one yet but now that I think about it, I completed the nocturnal/large/etc ones without trying to attempt them just by fishing and I’ve definitely fished through plenty of storms.

Theres a specific lure for storms so maybe you will unlock this closer to the milestone?

I’m just on phase 4 so I will let you know if I figure it out. (the reward for the milestone before is corrupted and the reward for this milestone is storm crystals so maybe try an extreme weather planet that has storm crystals :wink: )

Speaking of storms. Might be because I’ve multiplayer on but…

The Skiff is supposed to provide protection from storms or have I misunderstood?

Sometimes it seems to, but most times it doesn’t. Flying away and landing back on it can sometimes fix it or sometimes not. Anyone else having this or is it even supposed to protect us?

4 Likes

Ok. Finished the expedition. Went way too quickly.
One big piece of advice, save all the fish you catch. You need to sell 500,000 U worth and most don’t add up to very much. There are some rare ones worth quite a bit, so if you are lucky…
As for the storm fish, it was the last mission I finished. Did not use any bait. Just stick with a spot and cast as soon as the storms start. I caught one in deep water and 2 in shallow.
The bottom left corner in the UI now shows depth when your line is out.
The longer the storm the better your chances but these planets seem to have short-lived storms.
Good Luck!
My best catch

Also I let the Angler’s catch go free. It may have been worth a lot. I did not look.

6 Likes

This Skiff has been an adventure to use. I’ve not been provided any protection from storms or the elements while standing on it. I was even thrown off during a strong wind storm that ended up flipping the thing over when the waves got large.

I’ve found if you enter the Skiff paint customization console when a storm comes or the waves start to rock it, you are basically immune. I’m sure this is a bug; make use of it while you can.

I have noticed some interesting things about the Skiff though. Cold Storage inventory seems to be random. The Skiff in my normal save only has 10 slots, while the one I built in the expedition has 60, with another row of 10 slots locked. No clue how to expand them. Maybe one of the inventory expansion tokens would work.

I also discovered that you can drive the Skiff indirectly. Just summon the Skiff to a new location while standing on it and it will slowly move to the spot you chose. It’s sailing but slowwwwwwwwww.

9 Likes

I caught a sea snail in one of my traps. Colossal and Legendary, sells for 200,000.

But it’s my friend. I’m never selling my Seasnail. I caught the legendary jellyfish by rod, worth 50k I think

This is a great tip to know, thanks for sharing :slight_smile: Seeing a bunch of people at a fishing spot getting tossed around on Skiffs is easily one of the best things any expedition has given us <3

I noticed this too, my guess was the Expedition might have given this a boost or perhaps it’s something controlled by difficulty sliders?

Ooh, trying this as soon as I get back on.

The skiff just needs a seat we can both sit on and cast from and it’s content complete :slight_smile:

Edit:

@sheralmyst if you wan’t to know how much The Angler catch cost. It’s sixteen hundred units :wink:

6 Likes

I’m curious, for those playing on consoles or using a gamepad-- Does fishing have associated rumble effects? :thinking:

5 Likes

XBox one controller on PC here.
There is a rumble…checking to see if it applies to fishing. I would like for it to…
Cranked it to 100%…no affect. Restarting…but I have had it down to 0 for ages because I did not like it in normal play so I know it used to work.
Checking PS5…and it has a big update…
On PC I have moved to a Linux OS so I may not have something I need. Getting nothing out of the rumble…will have to look into that.

5 Likes

Playing on PS5 with Dual Sense, fishing has rumble, which has been handy as I keep getting distracted by stuff on another screen :slight_smile: Have not tried Dual Sense with PC yet but would hope it is the same.

There are some good visual cues (line will go and stay green, water will continuously splash at source of lure) and audio cues (sound effect to acommpany water splashing) too but the rumble is certainly the best as you just pull the trigger as soon as it becomes a prolonged rumble.

6 Likes

So I just jumped in on PS5 and my fishing pole does not show. Just a very faint fishing line coming from the end of my MT…without the rumble, it is very hard to catch a fish.

6 Likes

Yay, a fellow Linux player! (playing in flatpak on Fedora here) :slight_smile:

Thanks y’all for indulging my curiosity re: rumble.

Oh, and I don’t know who in this thread may need to hear it, but today I learned that you can squeeze into the corner of your exo skiff and land your trade rocket on it to cash-in your fish. :rocket:

6 Likes

Yipee! I wondered if it was launchable from the skiff but have not tried it.

4 Likes

While trying to catch the Anglers Legendary fish, a traveller swam up to my lure pretending to be a fish, then flew next to me on my hauler and waved. I waved back and they began to fish.

After a few failed attempts to catch the big squid, I decided to take a photo of me and my new friend. A third person had arrived without me noticing. They later gave me 50 lure for increasing chances of legendary, which got me to that goal quicker.

Best (community interactive)Expedition. Ever.

I hope everyone’s version of the Celeste was less vanilla than mine…

I like to pretend I stuffed the Anglers prized catch and stuck it on my dash…

“It needs to be free. I need to be free.”

It felt right snapping that photo with it in The Celeste.

8 Likes

The annoying thing about the depth meter in the ui is that it shares the behavior with the external temp readout. Depth will only show when you are exposed to weather that forces your haz shields to kick in

3 Likes

I’m not sure what the keybinding is on PC (i think it might be , or . or close to it) but left on the d-pad (this also cycles messages on the right) will bring up the depth metre for you if a storm is not present.

3 Likes

No way. I want to try this. After I reel in this fish…

3 Likes

Awesome! It’s H on PC. Hitting H will pull the ui and cycle through quests

4 Likes

Speaking of fish. Is depth a factor in determining the type and size of fish caught?

3 Likes

I gotta say, this update seems to have generated the most topics and daily posts yet.

That kinda puts the lie to some players claiming that the update is the worst ever.

I especially like the references to multi-traveler interactions. (Despite me normally having multiplayer off).

3 Likes

Some fish are more common or only appear in deeper waters and I think overall the size of the fish are bigger for the ones you’d find in shallower waters. Not sure the depth requirement but I reckon anything over 50u depth and you’re fine.

I was quite surprised by how much I am enjoying it and no way of avoiding the pun, how much depth there is to the mechanic already. I didn’t really think the expedition would be too much from the rest either but having folks linger at the rendezvous was certainly a new and enjoyable experience.

I also noticed the bases that usually litter the rendezvous zones were not present on console. I could see that people had built bases there but none of them were loading in. Did HG activate a new power to clear a rendezvous of visible bases? Or was Console just borked?

2 Likes

I did not notice many on PC either.

3 Likes