Electricity and Piping 101

More detailed info on hotspots here

Edit: highlight for me

Let’s say that the nearest power site is about 800u away. Your base boundary is just shy of reaching that. So what do we do? We extend that boundary. How? With batteries. Batteries can only be placed in the base boundary, but they can extend it as well. Why batteries? Well, it makes connecting the power cables easier and you can see if there is an issue with the power along the way back to base.

10 Likes

They are open when they have no power (which is one hell of a security issue, but I guess it makes sense from a gameplay perspective). They are closed when they have power. In order to get a door to be opened or closed, you need a switch.

3 Likes

Thanks. Didn’t think about wiring a switch. Still staying with the Holo Doors though.

1 Like

Do the BUTTON or PROXIMITY switches trigger it to open and close? I havent found a use for button switches yet but havent tried hooking them up to a new panel door.

If its the smaller personell, door then colision with other objects holds them open

Of course they do. Anything that makes the power go off will open them, anything that makes it go on closes them. For things like the proximity switch that means you need an inverter, though, otherwise you get a door that closes when you approach :laughing:

5 Likes

:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Oh if this works this is great. Not perfect, but it will work. I started measuring distances between the hotspots close to my base and depending on how much the batteries extend the build radius this could be amazing.

3 Likes

That is going to be so useful when I finally power up my Legacy save and start retro-fitting all my bases. I was concerned I’d have to go solar but this is a welcome bit of info.

2 Likes

Just made an amazing discovery while testing out the battery method that Steam post describes. Once you place the battery you can remove it and the build radius extension remains. This will need testing to see if the extension remains:

• Leave the system/planet by ship and return
  • Leave the system/planet by portal and return
  • Quit the game and reload the save

If the extension remains after testing the above, then the industrial tech can be used without much hassle. The grain of salt here is that this is prob. a bug or some type of unintended side effect. So it’s possible this could break at anytime. Still though, holy crap.

While this is a great work-around for those who want to use hotspots to send resources back to their base or central location, we may be better served by asking HG to change industrial tech to function like portable tech. Perhaps provide a bit of build radius on each part so that we could create some floor or shelters near the hotspot, like a remote mining site, ect.

8 Likes

Expanding your base radius is not limited to batteries, although useful, other building items can be used as well.

3 Likes

Really now. Do we have a resource for what items do this?

3 Likes

Just confirmed that all 3 items above do not affect the extension that the battery provides.

4 Likes

I believe it was a Light Box that I have seen to expand base radius, so I assumed there would likely be multiple building parts doing this.

1 Like

Anyone else who wishes for at least some logic to be added to the freighter?

4 Likes

At this point maybe the topic should be retitled “General Electricity” or something

2 Likes

Just thought I’d share how I got my sliding pressure doors working on a little outpost base of mine, in case anyone else is stumped.

In these pictures you can see I’ve attached both an inverter and a proximity switch to my live feed coming off my building (lower right).
The inverter feeds out to the door around the corner (left) while the switch is connected to the asymetric top connector (moderator) on the inverter.

When activated, the proximity switch provides power to the moderator connection on the inverter causing it to cut power to the pressure door which springs open.

Once you move away; the proximity switch cuts power to the modertor conection and the inverter turns back on providing power to the pressure door thus closing it.

7 Likes

Feel free to edit the topic title to better match the content :wink:

1 Like

Done :+1:

1 Like

Had an interesting issue powering my main base. It has four buildings: three wood panel & one prefab metal. My base workers are at this base. I powered up two of the panel buildings fine after some aggravation. When I powered up the prefab building , the power came on for a second, then everything in all the buildings dissapeared-including all my workers. I gave up on it at that point and have not gone back to see if it generates. I like that base but I have glitches with the planet. Always have-the rings cause a strobe effect and affects gameplay. So I found another planet to do some experimental base building on.

7 Likes

My base items also pulled a disappearing act. I have not been able to duplicate it after reloading. I was powering and rebuilding my Storage Containers when it happened to me. So this electrical aspect could hold the key.

5 Likes