Electricity and Piping 101

and that is why I am using solar panels…
I have not worked with the pipes yet…

1 Like

I found a hotspot 200 away.
I built the EM-generator, then found I hit the end of my wire. Initially I thought this was the end of my range but found I could however just join anther wire and keep on going. (Not sure if this is the same issue as the OP)
At the structure, I found I had to plug into the red side of an INVERTER & this then needed to feed the grid for the structure from the green side.
(The 3rd outlet has a different use).

1 Like

but did it let you build outside the radius of your base computer?

1 Like

I don’t know the range… I never build massive bases so I’m not sure how far the range is as I’ve never hit it.
I did however hit some sort of limit because I had to join the cable…
Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

3 Likes

I am going to pull this to the electrical thread and add pipes to the title…we need to work all of this out.
I know wires can be built into space…strange…and only certain tech can be built outside the build range.

2 Likes

Same. Too impractical for me ATM

Well I don’t have pipes or the mining tech unlocked like I thought I did. Will take some time to scrounge the 20 or so tokens I need to buy them. I’m testing the wires right now though.

1 Like

right after I rebuild my base as the floor is gone and the land has regened in it’s place and I can’t build on the same spot as before… I love this game but the bugs sometimes…

3 Likes

Slight bug or Issue to report.
PS4 Normal NonVR. DUAL SHOCK.
More an annoyance than a serious issue.

When building using wiring looms, if you press ○ to go backwards out of the build menu, it leaves the glowing attachment guides just sitting there.
You need to exit using down on the directional pad instead to leave to prevent this…

Reactivating the wiring menu and doing the above is simple fix.

3 Likes

Same on PC

1 Like

Here are my findings on wire limits and how to reproduce my method.

First, I determined the build radius of my base. To do this I stood beside my base computer, opened the build menu and highlighted the portal schematic. I walked in a line with the menu open until the menu changed to the portable tech menu. I then closed the menu, looked down at my feet, opened my visor and placed a custom waypoint. This was the edge of my building radius.

The edge was 361u from my base computer, which as I understand serves as the center point of the circle you can build in. I’d love to see what other people get when they try this.

Second, I tested how fa I could build wires. I again started at the base computer and drew out one long wire and walked with it towards my waypoint. Once I passed my waypoint, the wire vanished and my menu was changed to portable tech.

I returned to my base computer and began drawing a new wire while walking towards the waypoint. Every few units I would set the wire and connect a new wire to it and start walking again. Just before the waypoint I set the wire and started a new wire and walked past the waypoint. The wire vanished and my menu changed to portable tech.

It seems we’re unable to build outside the radius of the base computer. I’d like to see if others encounter the same thing.

• Edit -
    Just unlocked pipes and tested. It’s the same as with wires: you can’t build outside the build radius of your base computer. The interesting thing is that as I was walking towards my waypoint, my pipe cutoff at 302u from my base computer and I was unable to build anything except for portable tech. So now the buildable radius is changing!
3 Likes

Fun side note: Carbon Nanotubes can be stored in the ingredient storage of the Nutrient Processor. I’m scared about the possible recipes that implies.

3 Likes
5 Likes

The door to my main building on my base stays open. It won’t close.

My base is fully powered, so I’m not sure what’s going on.

I don’t need to run a dedicated power line to the door do I?

I’m hoping it’s just a bug, but I wanted to make sure.

3 Likes

@SirGreenDay: I have merged your topic here.

I do not believe this is an issue/bug, but meant to be open by default. Many players will likely use an existing save allowing them to power the base. It would be awkward to then right away find yourself with closed doors as soon as you add power.

You can run a power line directly to the door, which will then close it. More advanced systems with switches or detection is also possible. You may find some solutions in this topic (like the video posted above) or possibly in the topic linked below:

3 Likes

I have a door that has been stuck open since before Visions. I have a specialst terminal too close to it

4 Likes

i’d suggest trying to build out floor panels, or maybe just staggering building pieces in the direction of the electromagnetic pulse to increase your bases range first, then drop a generator on the source and run back with the wire activated. Then delete the filler pieces. Can’t say for sure but it works in my head :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what you need to do. Electrical door needs electricity, unsurprisingly.

Ack, darn it, wish they would not allow it in survivial mode.

3 Likes

The doors on my old base had the same problem. I added wiring to them and they did close, but then they wouldn’t open for me. Switched to Holo Doors which at least seem to work as before.

2 Likes

One thing electricity did do is make the prefab base parts much more practical; all you have to do is attach a generator to one building and every building attached by corridors automatically gets power from that generator, aromatically powers (most) things inside (only exception I’ve found so far is appearance modifier), and has built in powered lights. Also seems to provide power to my storage containers outside without wires

5 Likes