D'ni and Rivenese Prepping for Riven

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/cyanworlds/status/1748412273146638709?t=IUT0-nI_huJ25qjwCfc7eg&s=19

https://twitter.com/cyanworlds/status/1750946731569647616?t=ldHHfuQcjPZQLNflvOkonw&s=19

5 Likes
5 Likes

I love that you made these notes and also kept them. And the illustrations you made. Wonderful! :heart_eyes:

The Myst series of games was always on my radar but, somehow, one I never managed to get into. And then, completely ignoring the demands of chronological necessity, I played Myst V: End of Ages. In fact, TravelEcho and I played it in parallel, helping each other when we got stuck. We both enjoyed it quite a lot.

With all the various remakes, I wonder if I should try again, starting at the beginning this time. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

One tip for puzzle games that my brother and I sometimes apply: E.g. if my brother is the main player and I’m the kibitzer, then I read the walkthrough or spoiler guide when he gets stuck, – but I mustn’t tell him what’s in it.

If he says he’s stuck, he can ask me questions like: Did I miss something? Do I have all the hints and just need to use them right? But he doesn’t straight up ask for the solution. He puts his understanding in words and I basically say hot or cold.

6 Likes

Yes. Myst Masterpiece is where you should start and read the books. Book of Atrus. Book of Ti’ana. Book of D’ni.

3 Likes

Cyan actually made hint books that were like this. I think they came with 3 levels of reveal. Each level revealing more.

3 Likes

Thanks for the definitive answer!

Myst Masterpiece as opposed to Myst 2021 remake in Unreal?

Do you recommend reading the books before, during or after playing the game?

2 Likes

But I will add that Cyan recommends Myst Masterpiece but many prefer realMyst. I will let you decide.
realMyst is free roaming and adds the age of Rime. I have played both. I liked both but preferred the ability to free roam and the added age. It got poor reception when it was released because most PCs could not run it. But that was 24 years ago

5 Likes

Very helpful info! First 2 books ordered, used, and realMyst added to Steam wishlist pending sale. :+1:

2 Likes

6 Likes
5 Likes

@sheralmyst I can’t believe I only just noticed this. Is this why your name is SheralMYST?

4 Likes

:wink: yes it is
And Sheral is how my name is spelled in D’ni

7 Likes

Reminds me of that time I was slow to realise your name is a reference to Michael Faraday. Or am I remembering this wrong? :thinking:

3 Likes

Ohhhhh. Now I’m all mystied eyed!

2 Likes
5 Likes

Correct, it is

2 Likes
5 Likes

Terrible for a teaser to be honest, very disappointing even, but I am hyped regardless!

4 Likes