Debris At Portal Dump Site. Warning: Artemis Quest spoiler

In my new save I’m just finishing the Artemis quest:
If you don’t want spoilers stop reading :slight_smile:

At the point where the portal dumps you, I noticed debris on the ground I haven’t seen mentioned before or noticed myselfpreviously.
I was dumped on a barren/airless type world and around my feet there were the remains of something mechanical. I scanned them and the group of parts glowed like a building or other created object and once I dug them out they floated.

Does anyone recognise them or see a way of tying them in to the lore…?

4 Likes

Hmm, very interesting. I know NEXT has added a lot of debris and bits and bobs around most buildings that weren’t there before, perhaps this was something also added for when you are searching for Artemis.

It happens a second time if I remember correctly when trying to meet either null or apollo (whichever it was :see_no_evil:) so maybe have another look for similar artefact when you reach that point, assuming the mystery hasn’t been solved by then of course :blush:

3 Likes

Noticed some of the red debris is very similar to the center area of freighter crash sites…

1 Like

The only way I can tie this into the Artemis lore is by assuming Artemis once started the same way we as a player once started. Remember #231187661T, the Boundary Failure lore, Telamon. What you are seeing are the remains of another crash site. According to the naming in the source files, we can assume it was a player/traveller. Considering we did at some point find Artemis’ crash site including ship, I doubt these are left-overs from yet again a crash by Artemis, unless they were a terrible pilot :wink:

The ‘scene’ of debris you are seeing there is called ‘STARTSCENE_PLAYER’ in the files, it looks like this:

The main parts of this scene refer to ‘DEBRISWARRIOR_RARE’ textures. I am not sure why specifically ‘warrior’ though. If I look at the textures used in the folder, the red colouring appears to be made of the ‘BURNMARKS’ texture, with a coloured mask applied by the same name, which is red. This makes sense for debris left after a crash. The hexagon shaped object uses a texture called ‘TECHNOLOGYCONTAINER’, we are likely to assume this is another part left after a crash. The fact these parts float is because they have no physics applied, like most objects.

9 Likes

Here’s an extra bit of trivia regarding the WARRIOR DEBRIS.
It is also present at the location where you first appear in a brand new game. (Startscene as mentioned by @DevilinPixy) Usually you are running about trying not to die when you start a new game so it’s easy to miss.

So that means this unexplained debris field where a traveller appears upon initialisation or when teleported by the Atlas is relevant in some obscure way.
Maybe it’s a representation of the destroyed ship of your traveller mentioned in the lore…? Maybe not…
I can’t help wonder if the term ‘Warrior’ is used to insinuate that your character is stronger than the Atlas realises and can’t just be redacted and destroyed. When ‘purged’ he always ends up in this odd wreckage field…somewhere.

Kinda cool, whatever it is. :grinning:

4 Likes

Hmmm… doesn’t your suit re-initialize at this point in the story?

3 Likes

I would guess “warrior” was a reference to fighter ships, which is also the type of ship you start with.

3 Likes