Creative Provocation

Kind of getting frustrated here and would like some feedback on how to speed up the process of either provoking sentinels in creative mode or to find space battles more frequently in creative mode. I have warped 70+ times trying to find them and have tried finding sentinels to shoot but they just ignore me. Specifically choosing high, aggressive, etc. conflict systems doesn’t seem to help. Is creative mode just passive or what? I have a younger player who wants to dogfight without the limitations of normal mode but I can’t find anything for him to fight.

Appreciate anything enlightening.

3 Likes

I confess I haven’t played creative mode for a long time - not since before Next launched - and even then, I didn’t use it much.

As far as I know, it’s not intended that you can fight in creative. I remember it was occasionally possible to provoke a short skirmish, but, as you say, even then, the opponents lose interest and wander away.

I’m afraid that if your young friend wants to get involved in battle, you’re going to have to bite the bullet, and use normal mode.

3 Likes

@Polyphemus is correct. Creative mode is non-hazardous. You do not take any damage when snapped by snappies, clappies or puffers or critters. The sentinels ignore you. You will need a normal save.

3 Likes

I was hoping we could dole out some damage to those dastardly space pirates or sentinels with impunity but It’s not meant to be…easy. I say easy because I was able to find one space battle in creative mode but it was a long time before I found it. I think i’ll keep looking and backup a save so we can do it over and over! If i’m lucky enough to find another.

3 Likes

That one battle could be the story line battle that gets you your first Freighter. I do seem to recall that happening. There are a few other pirate hunting missions in the Space Station that you might try. That might be the key you are looking for. Good luck!

3 Likes

An alternative might be for you to set up a normal mode game on your young friend’s account. If you earn a lot of money, most of the limitations of normal mode disappear. You can buy most of the stuff you would otherwise have to search for.

Bear in mind that in normal mode you can’t die. Not properly. You always get reborn, and provided you can find your previous grave, you always get your inventory back.

If you are short of money, contact me and join me in a game. I will happily give you a billion credits worth of Stasis Devices. I have more money than I can ever spend, and my frigates just keep bringing more.

2 Likes

Good point, I didn’t consider that. You’re probably right about that. Thanks for bringing that up.

Very generous! How would I go about setting up this rendezvous? I’ve never added/played with others before. I can start a new normal game and work on getting him set up. oh and i’m only on PC via steam.

3 Likes

The best way of hunting sentinels in creative mode is to find them lurking around manufacturing facilities and operation centers. Even then, they do not fight back, but you can score the kills for missions and milestones a bit quicker than finding them in the field randomly. (Plus you get your blueprints at the same time if you want them.)

4 Likes

One of my first thoughts but when I got to one I heard sentinel sounds and an indicator but there were no sentinels where the indicator was pointing. Another thing, I found a planet where sentinels were supposedly aggressive. But that didn’t work either. I’m now trying to find pirate hunting missions from space stations but haven’t found any yet. Only carry X to Y and scan plants. If @Sheralmyst is correct about the first freighter mission battle then I may start a new creative game then save it when that happens again and reload whenever my pint-sized pirate slayer wants to do battle! :smile:

I appreciate all of your responses. If you have anymore suggestions I’m open to them.

3 Likes

Honestly, you can’t fight seriously in creative mode. It’s designed to prevent combat.

Give up. Stop trying, You’re fighting the game design. If you want to fight, go to normal mode.

2 Likes

I’m trying to let a five year old dogfight some. He got a taste of it once and loved it but normal mode is too much for him. I’m sorry if I didn’t make that clear.

3 Likes

Yes, I understood your requirement from your first post. The problem is that creative mode is designed to prevent combat.

The answer is for you (as an adult) to set up a normal mode game, using your young friend’s login. Get the game to the point where the player has lots of money, and a good ship with full weapons and armour. Then allow your friend to play the game from that point.

The normal mode game is too complex for a five year old to build up a decent character. You will have to do that for them. Once it’s done, though, they can’t die. If they get beaten, they can just return to their grave (or you can do it for them).

Proper dogfighting is not an option in creative mode. If you want dogfighting, you have to do it in normal mode - and if you want it to be available to a five year old, then you will have to set up the game first.

3 Likes

@Polyphemus is correct. With a good ship that is maxed out, dogfights are fairly simple and mundane.
The problem is that getting to that point is a pain in the rear…

3 Likes

That’s all i’m looking for. When I say dogfighting i mean him slowly chasing down a ship that he can shoot at after changing his ship for the 40th time because well, he has the attention span of a 5 year old. He likes to use all the different weapons too so creative lets me give him all those quickly. My problem…I’ll figure something out. I was just hoping it would work in creative because he has a base I helped him build. Thanks for your help. You may quietly close this topic.

3 Likes

Added the NMS - Help A Fellow Traveller category to the topic

1 Like

I play Creative a lot because I like to focus on Xenophotography.

My experience: Systems with high hostility have pirate starships, but you cannot provoke Sentinel starships. You can practice fairly easy dogfights with those pirates.

3 Likes

I’ve found a precious few of these. They’re hard to come by. Thanks for the reply.

3 Likes

In case anyone’s curious I did finally find a distressed freighter for the second time in creative mode. Found it after taking a delivery mission and warping to the destination system. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not but I immediately swooped down to a planet and manual and auto saved just in case I never see one again so i’ve at least got something going now. Battles are in creative just hard to find.

3 Likes