Are you more real than me?

I’m sure there’s an ai somewhere that analyses photographs of various places, people and random things, this phase could be homage to that

1 Like

I’m of a slightly different mindset. I think we should at least consider any hypothesis which can’t be proven false. If we only stick with established scientific dogma, we may never fully understand this universe or travel to the stars, and worse, the scientific community will become fossilized and unimaginative.

I’d say more but I want to hop back into the Simulation. All this talk is making me miss it. But my next dissertation will be about the world seen through the viewpoint of the Player Character.

Well, one more thing. I’m also one of those fruitbats who’s religious. To me, science is insufficient to explain much of this reality. :wink:

1 Like

Unfalsifiable “hypotheses” are fundamentally incompatible with science.

Hmm… I’m not aware of suggesting that anyone was a “fruitbat”.

Nor did I say religion was wrong. In fact, I was quite careful not to do so. What I did say was that if religion were wrong, science could not prove it to be so.

Science and religion are different things. They require different forms of evidence, and reach their conclusions by different methods.

2 Likes

I will now quote myself to seem even more of a douche…
https://forums.etarc.org/t/the-simulation-hypothesis/1662/3?u=virakotxa

1 Like

Conversely, I find the idea of being something’s lab-rat pretty terrifying. Test animals don’t go to some happy “convergence” - they end up in the incinerator, and you breed some more.

I take great comfort from the idea that whilst our lives may be subject to influences beyond our control, if there is any ultimate master of our own destinies, it is ourselves.

If I am in a hole, all the wishing, praying, and hoping in the world isn’t going to make a blind bit of difference. I have to dig myself out.

1 Like

Back with more scary-current content on the subject…

Great chat on the subject…
https://forums.etarc.org/t/the-infinite-monkey-cage-takes-on-simulations/1812?u=virakotxa