Am I allowed to do this!

Oh dear I may have done something wrong ?

I have named and built a base on a planet that I now realise had been discovered by another player

I was planning to invite people to Worm watch with me as the big worms abound here
A bit like birdwatching on Earth you can get great photos from there

I hadn’t been looking at that information on the discoveries page

I the player’s name is tuklsp.

I hope I can as I have named all the planets and really like this system.

3 Likes

They discovered the system two years ago
But another system where I have put a base was discovered by ColdTiger2443 only 6 months ago

I really hadn’t paid attention

2 Likes

Building on a planet discovered by somebody else is not a big deal. You won’t be able to rename the planet or the system, but you can build a base without issues.

4 Likes

Oh that’s good to hear…in fact I did Name the planet as it hadn’t been done before

I will check next time
Thank you for replying so quickly xxx

2 Likes

Sometimes the game will let you name an already discovered system or planet because it was unable to pull the info from Discovery services. However yr at no risk of overwriting their discovery, if you upload, the server will see yr timestamp is newer than the one recorded on file.

At large the community doesn’t seem to mind interlopers settling nearby, and if it’s a system with a discovery two years old and six months old you might be in a part of space previously occupied by expedition event so high chance most things in the area are named and discovered. I’ve noticed hello games tend to have their expeditions take place in areas where people discovered nearby systems m.

I usually stumble on a system that was discovered anywhere between 6 to 2 years ago during expedition exploration. Though that could also be people playing trickery with timecode on their systems end and tricking the discovery system. I like to assume it’s the former

5 Likes

Correct to all the above. A system will also say discovered by even when the person never names or claims any of the planets in it. They may have just been passing thru.

5 Likes

That is useful…thank you…to be honest I am playing at such a low level just finding the animals really and building a few simple bases
I can see there is a far more complex way of playing but I just want to skip about xxx

2 Likes

I understand now I tend to explore each one I find x

2 Likes

This was a lot more common when community missions a few years ago included warping to a set number of systems.

Travelers would warp in, then go to a new system without doing any exploring.

I’m kinda glad I don’t see those same type missions as much now.

2 Likes

The person who discovered that system was likely just passing through and will never come back to there again or notice any changes you make.

The only place where people would take offense to you naming things, that I know of, is the Galactic Hub, where there is specific naming criteria they want people to use for each star in the local cluster they inhabit. This is based on practices of theirs I learned about years ago, and I don’t know if this is still the case. You aren’t likely to stumble onto the GH by accident; if you go there, it would be on purpose and you would then need to be aware of their rules.

Other than that, the universe is pretty much free to discover, name and build bases however you want.

6 Likes