Steam Awards 2018 - No Mans Sky Nominated for Labour of Love-Vote Now Thru Jan 3, 2019

The Nominees for the Steam Awards have been announced and No Mans Sky is up for an award as a Labour of Love. Voting will open on the 20th of December and Fortnite is not in the category this time so we might actually stand a chance :joy:

The list of categories and nominees are as follows

Nominees for Game of the Year

• PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS

• MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD

• Kingdom Come: Deliverance

• HITMAN™ 2

• Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Nominees for VR Game of the Year

• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR

• VRChat

• Beat Saber

• Fallout 4 VR

• SUPERHOT VR

Nominees for Labor of Love

• Dota 2

• Grand Theft Auto V

• No Man’s Sky :tada:

• Path of Exile

• Stardew Valley

Nominees for Best Environment

• The WitcherÂŽ 3: Wild Hunt

• Subnautica

• Shadow of the Tomb Raider

• Far Cry 5

• DARK SOULS™ III

Nominees for Better with Friends

• Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

• Tom Clancy’s Rainbow SixÂŽ Siege

• PAYDAY 2

• Dead by Daylight

• Overcooked! 2

Nominees for Best Alternate History

• Wolfeinstein II: The New Colossus

• Assassin’s CreedÂŽ Odyssey

• Hearts of Iron IV

• Sid Meier’s CivilizationÂŽ VI

• Fallout 4

Nominees for Most Fun with a Machine

• Euro Truck Simulator 2

• Rocket League

• NieR:Automata

• Factorio

• Space Engineers

Nominees for Best Developer

• CD PROJEKT RED

• Ubisoft

• Bethesda

• Rockstar Games

• Digital Extremes Ltd.

• Square Enix

• Capcom

• Paradox Interactive

• BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

• Klei

11 Likes

GTAV is considered a labor of love? I mean, I guess there has never been a set in stone definition for the term, but obviously their understanding of it is quite different from mine… :smile:

Also, not really much of a competition in the Best Dev category. Paradox is fine, but CDPR has all the clout right now, deservedly so.
Klei could be a contender where originality, design and business practices are concerned, but they lose out in terms of technical complexity…

2 Likes

Yippeee!!! No Fortnite!! :grin: I know the Stardew Valley ppl have dropped their new project to devote themselves to SV but…NMS just has to win this!

4 Likes

In any case, that list of Nominations for best developers is clearly missing the Trese Brothers. They have only one game on PC so far (after a boatload of mobile games), but bloody hell, I’ve never seen such a flawless development process.

Vote Now until Jan 3, 2019

5 Likes

Steam Sale until Jan 3. Open the doors on the Cozy Cottage and get free cards etc…I got a nice NMS profile background pic

6 Likes

I fell for the Steam sale. Despite the fact that I haven’t really played anything but NMS for the last two years, I bought Elex (https://elexgame.com/)

It’s my kind of thing. I have all the other Piranha Bytes titles. They may not get great reviews from the critics, but they’re huge, absorbing, games, I can get lost in for months. It’s nice to get deeply involved in other worlds.

I’ve never really worked out what to do with the Steam trading cards. Every time I think I’ve got a handle on it, they change the system - I just end up confused. But there seem to be people who do it for a living.

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t even notice the whole “Cozy Cottage” thing! Thanks for the tip. Just got myself caught up and received that background too, yay!

3 Likes

I just sent you a trade offer on Steam. A warm pair of socks for the Better With Friends card. That will give me a complete Steam Awards card set. I have no idea how all of this works, lol. Figuring it out as I go. :smile:

1 Like

I’ve been opening those cosy cottage things but never got any NMS related stuff. I didn’t even think there was any since the game has no badges, trading cards or inventory items :thinking: I think I’ve been grossly misinformed haha

Sorry haven’t been around much guys, hope to be back in the sim soon enough

1 Like

I have no idea how it works either. I haven’t used it for years, and they keep changing it.

Still, I’ve made the trade. I hope it works for you. I don’t have a clue what to do with the socks. :smiley:

2 Likes

Wear them. They increase your badge level…and keep your toes toasty. :smile:

1 Like

Wait, you can get socks from Steam now? I don’t get anything anymore. I’ve noticed the trading cards some while ago, but have never bothered to figure out what they’re actually there for. I’m pretty much the opposite of a collector, so stuff like that holds no appeal whatsoever for me.

1 Like

You can collect, trade or sell them. Collecting a full bunch for a game allows you to craft a badge for that game, which increases your steam level and gives you emoticons and wallpaper related to the title. You can then repeat the process to unlock more items and gain higher experience for each badge you recomplete.

Most people sell them for five or seven cent (rarer cards can go for much more) and steam gets a portion of the cut. I wonder how much of their revenue is just from that?

Personally I sell them and save fifty cent or so on my next purchase :joy:

However games I adore, I’ll try get all cards for and complete one badge. Transistor is only game I’ve done this for. I actually traded and bought some cards to do it.

If NMS had trading cards I’d be all day buying them and levelling up the NMS badge heh. Thanks for not putting me in that predicament I guess, hello games.

Oh there are also foil versions of cards that are insanely rare and can sell for a fiver if you happen to get one, great for saving monies on a purchase.

3 Likes

I got a NMS emoticon!

10 Likes