ServiceHost;SysMain caused massive fps drops(disabled and solved;or not)

I recently built a new Windows 11 PC, but I’m still using the old one with Windows 10. I’m in the process of modifying the old one so it will boot either Linux or Windows, controlled by a switch on the front panel (switch selects one of two bootable HHDs). I have all the parts I need, but I haven’t started the work yet.

I will report back on how it works out.

3 Likes

@AdaRynin In windows 10 at least, right click start menu and select disk management. When it starts, you’ll see a list of drives with partitions on them. The linux partition will show as “undefined”? (possibly). Right click on the partition to select delete (make sure you select the right one:). Once deleted, you’ll be able to right click on the windows partition to extend it (if not, reboot). But double check all the sizes are correct and you’re deleting the right partition. Don’t delete any small partitions as windows or linux might get upset.

There is a way of getting linux to rebuild the boot partition (windows does like eating it), but you have to boot from usb to be able to do it. All I remember is mounting the disc and then performing grub-install, but I found this on net which seems about right How To Fix GRUB 2 [Linux] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog. You do have to know which partition is which, and linux won’t hold your hand when it comes to errors. Although grub is clever enough not to delete windows, it’s probably possible to make a mistake.

3 Likes

Thanks Unique!

So I’m looking at the right window. :+1: Catch is my disk management has many entries, and they are hard to tell apart… Each drive has several partitions, not all created by myself. Aparently Windows takes 500MB of each partition to create a “restore partition” (I’m translating loosely). The only one that’s unaccounted for under Windows (and hence is likely Linux) is a 35GB partition. Dang, I had hoped it would be larger and free up massive disk space! :grin:

3 Likes