PC Rigs- Hopes and Dreams

@sheralmyst : What graphics do you have running

4 Likes

I bought it all in a bundle to save myself the headache of making decisions. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I had shied away from AMD cards after several early reports of issues. OTOH Capitalist bums scarf up new NVIDIA cards and then jack up the price. That’s really aggravating.

3 Likes

I buy straight from AMD. Have never had an issue. But you could look up the Nvidia parallel.

3 Likes

Or you could just take such amazing screens that you get favored by the HG Old Gods…

I moved us to new topic.

6 Likes

I have an nvida and an amd gpu.

My nvidia gpu has random issues on some games and my framerate isnt very stable but my amd gpu pc hasnt had a single issue and the frame rate is very stable in the same games.

It might have something to do with my AMD pc parts being selected to prioritise cool temps and my Nvidia rig is a gaming laptop which are not known for stable or cool performance.

5 Likes

My current PC is also custom built for low temp / silence / low energy, with some intel CPU and GTX 1060. Still works great but it can’t keep up with the VR headset anymore and I can’t use the shiniest graphic settings…

I’m planing to get something like GeForce RTX 4070 + AMD Zen 5 Ryzen 9000. But since the CPU hasn’t been released yet, I can’t ask for experience with it…?

5 Likes

I have an AMD Cpu from 2011, last in the line of the am2+ socket format, which is also all my MOBO supports. Only does PCIE2.0 as well. Which was fine when I was using a GTX960 2gb,

I got an RTX 2060 during lockdown, during the insane price hikes for the silicon shortage, I know, stupid move, but I was hiding from Covid and I really wanted to try Minecraft with Ray Tracing XD.

So until I get a new MOBO I can’t upgrade my CPU or get the full whack out of my RTX (cos pcie2.0 bottleneck) but it has allowed me to continue playing games with little to no issue.

The only time I’ve run in to problems is some recent games, generally single player games with high fidelity graphics, because they use a new CPIU technique introduced a while back that is only getting utilised recently due to growing attach rate. Called AVX 2, my understanding of it is the GPU hands some graphical or texture streaming tasks off to the CPU. Games that require it simply will not boot without it. I think if you bought a CPU after 2012 you are good but anything before that most likely won’t have the tech inherent within.

Since I need a new mobo/cpu I figure I might as well save up for a rig minus a GPU but I keep kicking it further down the road. I actually had gotten a good bit saved up but then nostalgia made it very clear I will want to buy a ps5 and play ff7 rebirth because I could die before it gets ported to PC hahaha.

My dads been talking lately about selling the house and downsizing, so if I haven’t gotten a new PC by then… well that is when I will be getting one ’ ^ _ ^

4 Likes

Assembled on or about 19 Sep 2022. Went for reliability.

6 Likes

Having lots of RAM is important with NMS. Not sure what difference their move to gpu from cpu has but maybe someone out there has tested it. The way HG changes things around, they never will get the min/rec specs worked out.
Running on Linux OS also makes a difference but is not for everyone.

6 Likes

Due to my current reduced mobility, for the past four months it’s been difficult for me to spend any time in the room where my desktop computers live. I’ve also been living with the expectation of a further stay in hospital (that concern seems to be receding - fingers crossed).

So a couple of months ago I bought a fairly state-of-the-art gaming laptop, which I can use in my recovery room, and which can accompany me back to hospital, should the need arise. I’m still setting bits of it up. because my concentration and stamina haven’t been great lately.

It’s an Intel Core i9 14900HX @ 2.2 Ghz, 32Gb RAM, Geforce RTX 4090 with 16 Gb VRAM, and 4 Tb NVME.

It works very well, but when the cooling system kicks in it sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Packed for transport, it’s also heavy. The power brick is the size of a real brick - but heavier. The internal battery is huge (and heavy) and the cooling depends on an enormous copper heat sink buried in the guts of the thing, that stick out of the back with fins, fans, and chrome trim (true). The heat sink alone must weigh about a pound.

The computer itself folds up neat and slim, but I swear some of my old desktops weigh less.

It was a terrible indulgence, but at the time I bought it, I didn’t have great hopes for my long-term survival. I figured better to spend the money now, while I’m still able to get some use from it.

10 Likes

Polyphemus via ETARC Community Thursday, August 8 at 5:33 PM
It works very well, but when the cooling system kicks in it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

Luckily, I have profound hearing loss.
ROFL.

6 Likes

Will keep you warm in the winter too. :fire:

6 Likes

My AMD rig runs very quiet and actually stays fairly cool.

My Nvidia laptop brings the room temperature up 2 degrees. :hot_face:

7 Likes

My AMD rig is also very quiet and cool.

5 Likes

AMD have some offices near my village (used to be Xilinx, AMD bought em during lockdown), next to a newspaper printer. In this instance AMD are also very cool and quiet. I think it’s like, their thing.

• In 2023, AMD announced a four-year $135 million investment in Irish operations

Hmmm… Maybe I should pop a CV in. I could be the new Janitor/The first person to notice that new shipment of GPU and CPU’s went missing… ah shucks, who could it have been?

6 Likes

Here is my address
Cleaning Lady
100 Pure Ave
Sparkling, Shine 16160

5 Likes

You’re shining us on, right?
:wink:

4 Likes

With a sparkle in my eye :sparkles:

3 Likes