No Man’s Sky—v1.3 Screenshots & Art

what the hell are extreme lush planets?

1 Like

Aggressive sentinels, for one.

5 Likes

Oh… Well, since I’ve been exclusively playing survival mode since it was available, those are the most common. It was an epic quest in its own right to find a lush planet where the sentinels didn’t try to chew me up to call home.
Still, never came across murrine in the wild. Guess the game still has things to show me after 500 hours… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What type of planet is that? Doesn’t look lush to me. Is that a desert planet?

Finding a lush planet on survival without aggressive sentinels is a feat. Yes an “extreme lush” planet. The weather there is miserable, constant scalding rains.

2 Likes

Still gathering the resources to establish my farm, I tried my luck on a radiated planet in a nearby system to collect Gamma Roots.

When I first landed, the planet seemed quite unspectacular.

Upon closer inspection though this planet featured some large chasms across its surface and rarely some big mountains:

A really interesting and rare encuonter was this narrow spire of a rock, so narrow that you could hardly see it. Only their shadow is clearly visible:

Most interestingly the planet had no water on the surface, although the chasms clearly pointed at some kind of fluid, since some of them were completely even at the bottom, and walking through them made some splashing noises. Also, when viewing the terrain from above, it looks like these chasms are indeed filled with water:

Sometimes there are interesting notes the analysis visor shows when scanning some objects.
This however wasn’t one of those times:

Well, I wasn’t hungry anyways.

This was a way more intersting find:

It looks like some of the notes actually have impact on how the object is displayed. This tree clearly was infested by some kind of disease in order to become a solid source of Detritum.

My guess is that NEXT will further increase variation by making use of the notes shown via the analysis visor.

Once I’ve gathered enough Gamma Root in the amount of 2.000 units I intended to increase my stack of Star Brambles as well.

Fortunately for me, the very next planet I’ve scanned in the same system was a lush planet.

And dang, that was a sight to behold:

I rarely found lush planets without aggressive Sentinels, let alone pleasant, calm weather, featuring large bodies of water, deep canyons stretching on for miles, mountains with amazing view (if the fog wasn’t that intense), actual masses of trees and even rivers flowing!

This planet as well had some … interesting Iridium deposit shapes:

It almost looked like an artificial structure. Suffice to say, I didn’t encounter any further deposits of similar shape.

The cliffs, especially combined with water, created some breathtaking scenes:

At some lakes, there were really interesting rock formations. From afar, they could easily be confused with artificial structures.

The biggest joy I had though were the rivers. Although not being actual, flowing rivers, they didn’t really raise a question whether they were rivers or not:

Puddles and lakes featuring islands made some pleasing impressions:

The planet didn’t cease to amaze me, especially once I came across those large megaliths closely positioned together:

I succeeded in scanning all creatures, except for one - which I eventually found at an oasis.

Of course it was a water creature missing, and of course its water was too shallow to actually feature them. Breaking the immersion, they stuck their tails out of the water and wiggled excessively. I really hope this gets fixed with NEXT.

Also, some of these creatures … ugh. Really, this needs some major rework:

I think I’ll spend some more time on that planet. It might become my new homeworld. We’ll see.

The main problem about flowing rivers is the fact that currently, the water system works as a plane that covers cerain parts of terrain. Everything below is covered in water, everything above is part of the beach. At some terrain slopes this is painfully visible, as the water is getting cut off in a straight line.

In order to improve the water generation, they’d had to create overlapping layers of water, which causes isses when handling the size of these water bodies. If the size is too big, it would overflow the boundaries of the riverbed and the water body would completely bug out.

The way they did it as it is currently is the easiest way of creating bodies of water. To make it work the way we want it to be, this needs some complete overhaul, perhaps even change the physics of water in the game entirely.

I have no clue of how they’d solve the issue of flowing rivers. Especially in regards to procedural generation.

However, I am no expert in this field and can only speak of own experience when creating water-based maps on some RTS titles. I have no idea whether this is the case in NMS at all - although from what I’ve observed, it seems to apply there as well.

The real wizards of procedural generation are at HelloGames, and I am confident that if there is a way to do it, they’ve already found it.

Here’s to hope of having flowing rivers in NEXT … well, one can dream, can’t he?

16 Likes

I liked that. Nice little travelogue.

1 Like

15 Likes

If flowing rivers could one day be made then a directional wind could also be achieved and if that could be done then we could also get a real map as well. Gosh humans are never satisfied!

8 Likes

…and now Murrine available at Trading Stations…first time I have come across this…

4 Likes

I often see it in abundance from at least one npc trading from their ship at Trading Posts and Stations. I haven’t paid attention to what kind of system this happen in though.

2 Likes

alloy mental

times are changing
this worlds arranging
there’s a blind side meaning
a system a system upon us
dark star space will be filled
dark star time will be killed
there’s a blind side meaning
old world dreaming
this worlds screaming
a system a system upon us

fire fire fire fire

15 Likes

Are those lyrics to something?

Are you the right reader ^^ who knows, may be may be not ^^

1 Like

Huh? Really just wanted to ask whether those were lyrics from some song or you wrote them yourself. 'Cause I like them :slight_smile:

wow last pic is crazy! Congrats!

1 Like

Yeah, be inspired™ and take your dreams seriously :innocent:
@finnerty, yes, you are. Thanks for the link to the original song and lyrics.
I’ll re-post it: [Alloy Mental - Fire (original) - YouTube]
Sounds like satellite “SJ 16-02” pitched tones were involved :wink:

2 Likes

When Will I See You Again

Hoo-oo ha-a ha-a hoo-oo
Precious moments
When will I see you again
When will we share precious moments
Will I have to wait forever
Will I have to suffer
And cry the whole night trough?
When will I see you again
When will our hearts beat together?
Are we in love or just friends?
Is this my beginning
Or is this the end?

When will I see you again?

8 Likes

Thanks man. Got the symmetry right on that one :slight_smile: It’s one of my Calypso bases. Although going to build it in Euclid at the weekend to level up another character.

17 Likes

I want a plushy of that Toy Diplo! :laughing:

5 Likes

16 Likes