13 Likes

Sandstorm

12 Likes

Nice shots and Happy CakeDay! :sparkler:

1 Like

Thank you very much!

I expect to disembody next.

18 Likes

While I wait for issues to be resolved (hopefully) in my Euclid base, I have returned to Buldallangr. This first shot is not filtered or edited in any way. The leaves look like a watercolor.

Then I found this really big guy

16 Likes

Looks like that floating squid crab is fleeing in terror :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just 2 frens

12 Likes

oh wow … never seen a creature like that! Is that a mod? Funky dinosaure!

2 Likes

No, this is on PS4 :grinning: I met some mushroom crabs too! I’m making a video about it.

2 Likes

My new home. The natives are so friendly!

Well, most of them…
And the islands are covered in what appear to be very crude carvings, at least I hope they are carvings… :scream:

19 Likes

A very nice looking planet you found there! I never saw those friendly looking trees!!
I see that you got some lovely snappies aswell! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

My journey continues. This time a rather short visit, a frozen ice world.

I only stayed for a while, to fill up my ship’s cargo hold with Frost Crystals. Also, since it was an extreme planet, I increased my extreme survival stats a bit.

It made for some quite varied color schemes, though:

A rather rare view, Radnox:

Didn’t gather too much of it though, since I haven’t had use for it yet. Also, I’ll most probably come across further ice worlds in the future, where I can gather more of it.

After having collected 4.000 units of Frost Crystals, I left again and turned to a small moon at the other side of the system.

It caught my attention because of its lush, green colors:

Note: Henceforth, I’ll try to capture images of how the planets look seen from space, to give an idea how accurate their representation is. That is, if I don’t forget to, as I usually do. :sweat_smile:

This time though, the colors were pretty accurate - lush green fields with spots of red leafed trees:

I landed and set up my roamer geobay, in proximity to a monolith. Surprisingly, it was shaped like the Atlas, which I don’t see too often:

As flat as this planet might seem, there are some impressive megalith scattered on its surface.

I call this picture “Gates of Eden”. I assume its name is quite accurate:

It might seem like paradise, but frequent hot storms make it not too much of a pleasant environment. Also, there are a lot of unfriendly creatures around, which makes travelling there somewhat dangerous.

The most annoying part of it though was the scanning of the local fauna (still is). As it turns out, there are a lot of very shallow puddles around, and guess what - three missing creatures, most probably being in some of these - very rare and very scattered - puddles. I spent hours looking for those darn animals hiding in such waters.

I even went so far as to expand puddles myself with the terrain editing tool, in the hope to spawn those missing creatures. So far, to no avail.
Which lead to the creation of underworld water tunnels, almost like sewer pipes:

The sunrises on the planet are spectacular, especially due to the giant planet it orbits:

Sometimes the megaliths are positioned in a fashion that looked like a circle, thus creating some kind of alien “Stonehenge”:

It would be wonderful if eclipses were a thing in NMS. As spectacular it looked, it had no impact on the planet’s lightning. Which is a shame:

A very unusual spot for a marker. Right in front of a deposit arc:

Apparently, some of the megaliths are “corrupted”:

Searching for those last few missing creatures led to some very risky maneuvers, trying to see them from my fighter:

Although I successfully found two of the three missing creatures (after hours and hours of searching), one is still missing. I still fly by to this planet from time to time, to continue the search, but it is very annoying to do so.

Eventually, thanks to the help of TouriStarr, I found a program to create great panorama screenshots, called Image Composite Editor, a very helpful tool to stitch images together to create panoramas.

Unfortunately, it resulted in a loss of quality, but it still looks astonishing:

More to follow.

17 Likes

Yeah I noticed this myself, the sun shines through a planet when it goes behind it, however if you look at some early footage of the game there are some videos where you see a sun eclipsed by a moon or planet in the horizon and the side of the planet facing you is pitch black.

Let’s hope with the addition of ringed planets we get our eclipses :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your findings, beautiful planets, love the shot of the exocraft next to the sewer pipe exit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great write-up on your recent NMS explorations. Always a pleasure following other’s adventures.

3 Likes

How did you get your vehicle to the top of that megalith? I can not maneuver the wheeled vehicles that well. :grin:

1 Like

A truly enjoyable and inspiring travelogue! Thank you!

I love the sewer tunnel, lol “Desperate times call for desperate measures”! Getting that last creature is truly maddening sometimes.

Best of luck with it.

1 Like

I upgraded the roamer with all three boosters, which gives it a tremendous boost when facing a cliff.

Just make sure that the vehicle touches the wall when boosting, otherwise it won’t accelerate.

Took me a little bit of practice, too, but I had plenty of it ('specially on the first planet - hours and hours of roaming).

1 Like