NMS - Solar / Battery Calculator

I decided to do a bit of research and code up a little something.
This will calculate the amount of Solar Panels and Batteries required when given an amount of Power Consumption (kPs).

I think this may be useful for some of you out there :wink:

No Manā€™s Sky - Solar / Battery Calculator :link: JSFiddle

Note: Let me know if there are any issues, mistakes, suggestions, or otherwise.

10 Likes

Thanks for this. I will be trying it out! :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh, pretty cool! Thank you! <3 :heart: <3

2 Likes

Bookmarked!
:heartbeat:

3 Likes

With some help of another Discord user, a bot command for minimal calculation is now available on the NMS Discord as well:
!power x (where x is consumption in kPs 0-50000)
The result includes a link to the full version for full details.

Woot! :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Thank you very much @DevilinPixy

4 Likes

Good work ā€¦ btw what does kPs stands for in NMS ? As an engineer the units of power consumption that I use are watts or Kilowatts/unit of time ā€¦?

4 Likes

Oh behaveā€¦

kPs-onebillion

4 Likes

Well, the image above pretty much says it all :crazy_face:

It is assumed to mean ā€˜kilo Power per secondā€™, although the ā€˜secondsā€™ are basically the minutes counting down in in-game time, not real-time. This I believe, is used as the in-game tick duration which is close to a real-time second.

I have checked various planets where a full day/night cycle lasts exactly 30 minutes real time. This would mean that 1 minute in-game time equals 1.15 seconds real-time. My calculator is based on the in-game tick, with a full day resulting in 1440 ticks. This actually makes kPs a bit awkward, as it uses the in-game minutes as if they are seconds. But hey, itā€™s a game after all ā€¦

3 Likes

Thank you for the enlightenment !

Enjoy the game

Le lun. 11 mai 2020 Ć  23:36, Devilin Pixy via ETARC Community etarc@discoursemail.com a Ć©crit :

4 Likes

I have updated the Solar/Battery calculator after some further research into day/night cycles and durations of sunrise, day, sunset, and night. Calculations are now based on real-time instead, using a worst case scenario.

Worst case scenario is when you are located on the path where the sun passes directly overhead.

In-game Real-time
sunrise 05:20 - 06:26 1h06m 66m 25 kPs 82.5s
day 06:26 - 17:34 11h08m 668m 50 kPs 835s
sunset 17:34 - 18:40 1h06m 66m 25 kPs 82.5s
night 18:40 - 05:20 10h40m 640m 0 kPs 800s

The best case would be a location furthest away from the sun, where it is always sunset/sunrise. No batteries would be required at all in this case. Hard to find ā€˜solar polesā€™, as these usually do not appear to match the planet pole coordinates.

In-game Real-time
sunrise
sunset
00:00 - 00:00 24h00m 1440m 25 kPs 1800s

The link has been updated in the top post and no longer requires changing with future changes :wink:

NMS - Solar / Battery Calculator :link: JSFiddle

3 Likes

Itā€™s obviously misspelling of kilopascalā€¦ of radiation pressure, perhaps?

To quote an old interview with sean murray, ā€œwe actually had a real periodic table in there once, but then we realised that people would learn something, and we canā€™t have that in our gamesā€. :rofl:

4 Likes