Latest Space Missions (& Other Science Stuff)

A dune-filled crater on Mars

7 Likes

JWST has finally reached its destination. What to do know? The 18 segments aligning will keep on until the end of April. After the setting of golden hexagons up JWST engineers are going to focus the telescope.

engineers will take about two months to point Webb at some bright stars to properly collimate and focus the telescope.

The waiting process becomes more exciting.

6 Likes

Ohh, just take some fuzzy pics now to give us something to gawk at while they set the thing up for high res later. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Yeah… You can’t tell me they aren’t taking some tiny test images… :wink: Reminded me of these schoolbook pictures:

2 Likes

My understanding is they will spend the next 2 months calibrating and aligning each mirror section. I would think that will require many images.

3 Likes

https://www.projectpluto.com/temp/dscovr.htm

2 Likes
4 Likes

I hope the alignment and the focusing will be conducted successfully. Nothing seems to go wrong. Fingers crossed, just waiting.
By the way, to make waiting process less stressful, I’ve found a video by MIT, where they show how the atoms look like. It is so captivating

4 Likes

The first proper images are expected to be revealed to the public in late June or early July. -JWST

1 Like

1 Like

This week, the three-month process of aligning the telescope began – and over the last day, Webb team members saw the first photons of starlight that traveled through the entire telescope and were detected by the Near Infrared Camera (NIRCam) instrument. This milestone marks the first of many steps to capture images that are at first unfocused and use them to slowly fine-tune the telescope. This is the very beginning of the process, but so far the initial results match expectations and simulations.
JWST website

4 Likes

Life on Mars is rough. Curiosity is feeling it.

8 Likes

5 Likes
5 Likes

6 Likes
5 Likes

First off, don’t believe the junk video coming from Russia of the ISS modules detatching and leaving the station. It is a very real looking vid but just Russian propaganda. However, the ISS daily blog stopped 3 days ago. This is not a good time for the ISS. There are space walks planned for this week.

3 Likes

Whaaaa? :rofl:
That would be one hell of a technical challenge that Russia in isolation wouldn’t even have the expertise nor the equipment for right now! :crazy_face:
Still, I do wonder how they’re doing up there. Rogozin has already barfed his immaturity all over twitter, so no doubt he has some ridiculous ideas for how the astronauts up there might support the “war effort” (read: his carreer) that they’re probably not very fond of.

Ah, just realised that video is one of the immature things Rogozin barfed over twitter. Oh well, he seems to have forgotten that Zarya was not actually financed by Russia, and also that without CANADARM, trying to take the station apart is a suicide mission…

2 Likes

I feel like posting it just for the entertainment value but, I just can’t. The only reason I became aware of it was because an Indian news channel reported on it like it was real news. Apparently, they are not much on fact-checking…

3 Likes

Deep within the Andromeda constellation, some 320 million light-years away, two galaxies are consumed by a gravitationally bound dance, and the Hubble Space Telescope has just photographed the action in extraordinary three-dimensional detail.

The two dancers are the smaller polar-ring galaxy IC 1559 (top) and the larger spiral galaxy NGC 169 (bottom). Collectively, they are known as Arp 282, as designated in Halton Arp’s Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies.

9 Likes