Frontiers (Updates and Patches)

Yes. There was a large update about the time the Dutchman was speeding up to your door.

3 Likes

Arrrrhhh! Beware the Flying Dutchman!

:pirate_flag:

Sorry :stuck_out_tongue:
Couldn’t resist.

6 Likes

When did glass return to being made out of Frost Crystal?

1 Like

Always was, wasn’t it? At some point, presumably for base building, they made it require much less (but made Living Glass require 5 Glass to compensate). They also added the ability to refine it from Silicate Powder too, but AFAIK the crafting recipe was always still there.

4 Likes

It never changed as far as I know. They just added refining from dirt.

3 Likes

So what was I refining from silicate powder? :sweat_smile: I was so glad it changed cause I had so much…So the blueprint never changed but I have not looked at it in ages because I have just been stuffing silicate into my backpack refiner…

4 Likes

I find that I usually have a whole lot more frost crystal available for making glass than I have silicate. I build with stone (nee concrete) a lot.

1 Like

I was happy when I found that I could refine silicate into glass. I always had a lot of that cluttering my inventory. But then came Frontiers which made bigger builds possible and stone walls that wanted lots of the stuff… Now I am back to renovating my Frostwort farm and strip mining for sand.

5 Likes

28 posts were split to a new topic: Update Speculation

I moved our discussion to a speculation topic so we can keep this one for actual updates.

6 Likes

So the tiny updates are, it seems, related to “Shader pre-caching” in steam settings. It’s a new feature that allows shaders to be downloaded pre-compiled, so your machine doesn’t have to stop and compile them in the middle of a game, causing a stutter.

Does NMS still compiler shaders during the loading screen? I’ve noticed for quite a while that whenever an update occurs, NMS runs like crap and I have to restart the PC to get things working smoothly again. This occurs every update since Vulcan arrived. So maybe this’ll get rid of that, assuming someone out there plays NMS before me and also has a RX480 card.

3 Likes

After every major update, I clean out the shaders folder and then start the game even if I won’t play that day. A bit of insurance.

3 Likes

They ended shader compiling during load with Vulcan…before that I had to clean out shader cache regularly. This was done especially for AMD users, which I am. I was having a really jerky experience until the large unspecified recent update which I assume was a reinstall of the whole game. Has been fairly smooth since then.
Thanks for info on the tiny updates

4 Likes

Patch Notes

Expedition Four: Emergence begins today, 20th October. Discover the secrets of the dread wormcult and earn terrifying rewards: new titles, decals, a colossal buildable skull, horrific new fireworks and jetpack trails, a parasitic headworm, and a sandworm companion of your very own…

• Significantly improved sandworm geometry and textures.
  • Significantly improved sandworm particle effects.
  • Improved a number of particle effects, including: combat frigate weapon flashes flashes, freighter explosions, distant laser impacts, creature digging effects, Sentinel Walker landing effects, meteors, and meteor impacts.

• Fixed a rare crash that could occur when retrieving friend details.
  • Introduced a significant memory optimisation.
  • Fixed a number of memory-related crashes on Xbox Series X.
  • Fixed a memory related crash on Xbox Series S.

• Fixed an issue that could cause some settlement buildings to lose their construction terminals.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent advancement when constructing small settlement buildings.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Multi-Tool to lose upgrades when switching Multi-Tools, if the selected next tool was already active.
  • Fixed an issue that caused movement and combat behaviour problems with the patrol drones aboard derelict freighters.

• Fixed an issue that could cause Expedition saves to download incorrect data and become corrupt if reloading from the pause menu.
  • Fixed an issue where some saves would be incorrectly listed as ‘Incompatible’ if they became corrupted. Corrupted saves such as these are now recovered to the alternative manual/auto slot.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause savegame loss on PC if the game crashed during a save.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash on the frontend if savedata had been corrupted.

• Fixed a number of snapping issues with sloping roof parts.
  • Fixed a number of snapping issues that could occur in complex scenes.
  • Fixed a number of snapping issues related to roof cap and gable parts.
  • Fixed a visual glitch with the shadows on timber roofs.
  • Fixed a number of snapping issues with vertical glass tunnels.
  • Improved snapping for utility parts, including refiners and solar panels.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause ramps to remove their attached doorways when deleted.
  • Fixed a collision issue with the shelf panel base parts.
  • Fixed a number of snapping issues with freighter corridor and room base parts.
  • Fixed a number of snapping issues with decorative saloon parts.
  • The hexagonal table is now correctly grouped with other tables in the build menu.
  • Improved text descriptions for a number of base parts.

• Fixed an issue that could cause particular species of exotic butterfly to fly into the ground.
  • Fixed a number of control bindings issues for Vive controllers.
  • Fixed a number of control binding issues when using a DS4 pad to drive Exocraft on Steam.
  • Fixed an issue where pinned repair instructions could ask for half the necessary requirements to craft products that would be used in the repair.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent reward titles that have already been claimed from showing as owned.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent the mission to guide players to a settlement from working correctly if they declined several settlements.
10 Likes

Steam Patch 3.71
Bug fixes

Fixed a number of rare instances where settlement buildings were not properly constructed.
Fixed a rare issue where a construction terminal would not be placed on a settlement building site.
Fixed an issue that could cause grass to spawn within settlement buildings.
Fixed an issue that could allow players to edit terrain within settlements in rare circumstances.
Fixed an issue that could cause settlements not to align correctly with the terrain (for example, after the terrain had been edited).

Fixed a number of base parts that were incorrectly set as able to change material or colour, without having textures that support it.
Base building wiring mode now shows only relevant building options and keeps the controls bar to the top of the screen.
Placing wires is now more responsive and does not fade out the wiring snap points.
Fixed a general issue that could cause base parts to delete other nearby parts when selected for deletion.
Fixed a snapping issue with Wall Screens.
Fixed an issue that prevented ramps from editing terrain when placed.
Building part snap points are now smaller when away from the centre of the screen and grow when pointed at.
Fixed an issue with Moon Pool legs.
Fixed a number of snapping issues with small triangle base parts.
Fixed a collision issue with pressure pads.
Fixed an issue that could cause base part snap points to display in the wrong position.
Fixed a snapping issue when connecting cuboids rooms to vertical corridors.
Fixed a snapping issue when stacking cuboid rooms.
Fixed an issue that could cause large rooms to hide their roofs when placing technology (such as solar panels) on top of them.
Fixed an issue that prevented large rooms from correctly carving terrain when placed.
Fixed a collision issue with the alloy inner corner roof parts.
Fixed a collision issue with hanging lights.
Fixed an issue that caused floor tiles to fail to carve out the terrain correctly.
Fixed an issue that prevented expedition reward objects from being built on freighter bases.

Fixed a number of issues where the player would get snagged on object or terrain physics.
Fixed an issue that could cause particle effects to be cleared up too early, clipping the effect.
Fixed an issue that caused players to hover above chairs when sitting.
Fixed an issue that caused text to instantly print out rather than type out in the final box of a multi-sequence piece of dialog.
Fixed an issue that could cause incorrect collision on trees and other large plants.
Introduced a message to inform users when they are unable to connect to matchmaking because they have been banned.
Fixed a number of text and description issues in the Quicksilver shop.
Fixed an issue that caused the secondary hazard warning bar to appear misaligned on the HUD.
Fixed an issue that caused hover detection to be incorrect on the title screen in some resolutions.
Fixed a number of creature spawning issues that made it harder than intended to find rare creatures.
Fixed an issue that prevented underwater corridors from correctly carving terrain when placed.
Sandworm companions now correctly speak using untranslatable horrific text.
An option has been added to the Controls Options page to change the strength of effects that shake the camera.
Fixed a number of visual glitches in the Exosuit Initialisation Process that occurs when starting a new game.
Fixed an issue that caused biological horrors to incorrectly launch pounce attacks over long distances.
The expedition milestone “Their Scent Remains” will now make use of the Target Sweep if any nearby eggs are detected.
Fixed an issue that prevented ‘Change Active Multi-Tool’ from being bound to a hotkey.

Fixed a very rare UI crash.
Fixed a rare crash on shutdown.
Introduced a number of systemic improvements and optimisations to particle effect rendering.
Introduced an optimisation to improve the speed at which settlement buildings are loaded and placed.
Introduced a number of rendering optimisations.
Introduced a number of base building optimisations.
Introduced a number of physics optimisations.

4 Likes

Two internal updates lately. Maybe something is up.

6 Likes
7 Likes

“Already work has started on some exciting plans for 2022 and there are no signs of us slowing.”

7 Likes

Sounds a bit like playing for time. I wonder what they are working on… :thinking:

4 Likes

3.73 Patch Notes

• Fixed an issue that could cause protected terrain edits inside a player’s base to occasionally be overwritten when downloading a large number of terrain edits from other player’s bases.
  • The base computer can now be picked up and moved within the bounds of the base.
  • Improved the clarity of messaging when placing a base computer in an invalid location.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause audio problems on PlayStation 4.
  • Wiring mode now has access to rotation and free place options.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the HUD message that accompanies entering a base to trigger too frequently.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the personal refiner audio to continue to play forever if the refiner ran out of fuel.

• Fixed a collision issue with timber roof corner base parts.
  • Fixed a number of snapping issues with basic shape adornment parts (cubes, pyramids, cylinders, and so on).
  • Fixed a number of collision and terrain carving issues with small paving parts.
  • Fixed a collision issue with one visual variant of the timber wall with windows.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause base part preview holograms to be offset.
  • The Pipe and Curved Pipe building parts have been combined into a single new Pipe part that adjusts shape contextually.
  • Fixed a snapping issue with ByteBeat Cables.

• Introduced a significant memory optimisation for PlayStation 4.
  • Introduced a number of significant base-building physics optimisations.
  • Introduced a significant base-building networking optimisation.

• Fixed a number of rare issues that could cause planetary objects to have no collision.
  • Fixed a rare issue where grass could grow around the edges of settlement building interiors.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could cause NPCs in settlements to hover above their chairs.
  • Fixed a number of base-building LOD issues.
  • Fixed a number of snapping issues with inner pieces.
  • Fixed a number of issues that could cause settlements to be incorrectly classified on the CBAS scale.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to fall out of their freighter while constructing new rooms on board.

• Fixed a number of issues that could occur when collecting rewards after a fleet expedition had finished.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Armourer mission to become blocked if players destroyed the targeted depot from the air, or before the mission had begun.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause creature-related missions from the Nexus to pick inappropriate planets.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed base part duplication mode to duplicate non-buildable parts.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could prevent players from completing the construction of a settlement marketplace.
  • Fixed an issue with base reporting.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the “Spawn Beneath Your Skin” milestone of the Emergence expedition to fail to find any valid target when using the Target Sweep.

• Fixed an Xbox-specific crash that could occur when loading corrupted save data.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could cause very large player bases to crash when loading.
  • Fixed a Xbox-specific crash that could occur when running out of audio memory.

I expect this update 3.73 to go public some time soon

9 Likes