Fauna 🦕

Not sure if these are the same beasties, but pictures anyway:

6 Likes

Well, the one in question does not race across the ground, rather it sounds as if it is under the ground and poking holes up through the topsoil and emitting jets of greenish…gas…fumes…? :smile:

4 Likes

Neither do these two, normally. I chose the spot in a valley where the bedrock is very close to the surface. They come racing down the hill underground, then, as they get to the bottom, there’s nothing for them to burrow in, and they have to surface for a short distance.

3 Likes

Nice. In the pic I posted, the jets of green gases shoot straight up. It is difficult to tell it is part of the animal and not the cave. Wish I had taken a video. Imagine hearing a punching sound accompanied by a shooting jet of gases. Then imagine this happening along a line, 2-3 jets at a time and moving back and forth across the ground.

3 Likes

8 Likes

BTW, the head on these suckers mimics an ancient flying dinosaur. In found that interesting … Hello Games drawing on real life for an odd fauna

2 Likes

The invisible fauna I found earlier. It is an underground critter but has no image in the discovery listing.

6 Likes

I was telling my wife about the invisible underground critter I was watching a video of. She asked, “What country was it in?”

ROFL. Obviously not paying attention.

7 Likes

11 Likes

Maybe HG only created the effect because they figured nobody would be able to see it anyway being underground, not realising the creature would be shown in full in the discovery menu?

Can you actually scan the creature if all you can aim at is dust clouds?

4 Likes

8 Likes

Yes. Was able to scan it without issue. Like you said, perhaps it was never meant to be seen.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Loving the schooling fish behavior

That is the most fish I have ever encountered at once. I could not even scan the plants because there were so many fish. :open_mouth:

10 Likes

That is fantastic!

2 Likes

@sheralmyst -

I came across this creature. It’s always underground, and throws up rocks and puffs of greenish smoke.

I thought it looked familiar, so I scanned it. What do you know? It has no picture.

10 Likes

Yippeee! I’m not crazy! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes

The automatically generated descriptions are a nice touch, but it’s weird how they miss what we would consider obvious.

“Log addendum in orbit while looking over my notebook. I’ve been studying this being for an hour and wrote detailed notes about its impressive corporative herd intelligence and size and behaviour and feeding, and forgot to mention one thing. It’s invisible. The whole time, I did not actually see a thing. From that I conclude that it must have hypnotic powers as well!!!11 :exploding_head: How many of my other observations did it manipulate?!”

7 Likes

“There’s somebody at the door”
“Who is it?”
“The Invisible Man”.
“Tell him I can’t see him”.

From “Ye Mammothe Compendium of Ancient & Well-Worne Jokes”, London, 1427

7 Likes

These creatures were all over the place. Flying around, resting on land, swimming, testing their lungs.

15 Likes