Electricity and Piping 101

You can, actually.

4 Likes

Has anyone unlocked those funky looking light boxes in normal mode, or any info their availabilty?

2 Likes

Apparently both the ‘Light Box’ and ‘Noise Box’ are only available in Creative Mode.

4 Likes

Aah well, I’ve waited 2.5 Years to make cheeky flashing neon messages, I can wait a bit longer

7 Likes

I’m surprised no one has modded them into the other modes yet…

5 Likes

imagines making a giant space “Eat At Joe’s” sign

5 Likes

I’m not sure I have my system wired correctly.

I’m using solar and batteries.

Ive got plenty of power. 149 used. 250 available.

I’ve got 8 solar panels daisy chained together with 1 of them connected to 1 of the nodes on the outside of the building.

I’ve also got 8 batteries wired up the same way.

Daisy chained together then connected to a building node.

I keep running out of power at night time.

My last solar panel says no battery and I don’t know why.

Also, my batteries are only charging to 10% .

I’m very confused.

Do I have too many SP’s or batteries?

Thanks.

3 Likes

I basically don’t know what I’m doing when it comes to power.

I have 30 Cuboid Rooms, 15 Glass Cuboid Rooms, 10 Storage Containers (only half of which work), Previous Base Item Cache, Teleporter, Galactic Trade Terminal, Nutrient Processor, Save Point, Appearance Modifier, Hazard Protection Unit, First Aid, Construction Research Unit, 2 Hydroponic Trays, 3 Holo Doors and various planetary knick-knacks.

Total draw seems to be 394kPs.

I use 22 Solar Panels and 24 Batteries. Stuff is haphazardly connected. Make of it what you will.

5 Likes

That may be too many batteries. I have 3 panels to one battery and Im getting full charge. Think no matter what, you will lose charge overnight.

5 Likes

@SirGreenDay: I have merged your topic here.

Each Solar Panel will produce 50 kPs during daytime. Your base appears to require 149 kPs. So to power your base during daytime, you need 3 x 50 kPs = 3 Solar Panels. Now daytime is only half a day, so you need to double the amount to make it through the night. This means 6 solar panels should be enough.

As for Batteries, I would usually go with half the amount, basically 1 Battery per 2 Solar Panels. Since you require 6 Solar Panels, you should be fine with 3 Batteries.

As for wiring them up, I would suggest to run a power line across the outer edges of each Solar Panel. Do the same with the Batteries if they are placed together. Connect Solar to Batteries. Now to power the buildings, lights and other things, I suggest to run a single electric wire from the Batteries to the structure or other part requiring it and go from there connecting to other things in need.

I usually do not run wire from the Solar Panels. That being said, as long as everything is somehow connected, it should work. In your case, not all your Solar Panels appear to be charging the batteries. Batteries are where your power needs to go for storage.

6 Likes

22 x 50 = 1100, which indeed shows in your batteries. Half of that can be used for full power day & night (= 650). So you have quite a bit to spare (650 - 394 = 256).

You do indeed appear to have quite a lot of batteries though, compared to the amount of solar. I am sure you can reduce that to 11 or so.

4 Likes

One thing you need to look at is how many hours of dark you have vs. how many hours of light you have. You will need to store more power if your night cycle is longer than your day cycle.

4 Likes

Thanks for mentioning that day/night cycles may not always equal each other. I just assumed night and day to be of equal duration.

Edit: I guess for a quick and dirty calculation it helps considering them equal, to then adjust as needed.

4 Likes

I have seen this reported before, not sure how that happens. I had to replace all my storage containers including the cuboids they were connected to. I have 5 cuboid rooms in a row, with 5 storage containers on each side. Hooked up a wire to one container after the replacement and BOOM, all were powered.

Maybe it depends how the containers are placed? Or possibly something else causing the issue?

3 Likes

In my permadeath save (PS4), I had entirely rebuild and shuffle my base to allow things to work or connect.
I’m now looking for a new location to start afresh because its gotten very messy but at least I’ve learned quite a bit about setting up with power.

Edit. Just found a non-hostile, lush world with purple leafed trees & grass. Nice oceans and a hotspot just offshore for power.

6 Likes

well there is streamer that has 50 batteries underground, connected to who know what, 60 storage containers with unknown number for resource gathering machines on the surface. it look insane.
He said he was making 95 million and hour.

6 Likes

And I just spent all day planting one plant of each type in the Farmer’s missions…maybe he can give some of those units away. Hold a raffle or something. :smile:

5 Likes

A couple of patches ago, I tried removing one of the disfunctional containers. When I went to replace it in its original spot I received a message that it could only be placed once. Fortunately I can still transfer - just takes a while to find what I’m looking for.

3 Likes

what is piping for? to look pretty?

1 Like

It runs from your gas or mineral extractors to your supply depots. I’m still working those out…

3 Likes