Circe Invidiosa

It’s a slow day. There’s not much going on, and we’re all waiting for the update.

So while we’re waiting, here’s one of my favourite paintings.

John Waterhouse “Circe Invidiosa” (1892)

(keep clicking on it - it gets bigger, and you see more detail).

Feel free to comment, or post your own favourite art works.

9 Likes

I was recently introduced to the works of H.R. Giger, whose horror/sci-fi art I believe was used to design the Xenomorphs from Alien.

His art also inspired the indie game Scorn which is still in production, which you can see the demo of in this video:

8 Likes

It’s hard for me to choose a single favorite work of art. I do love Art Nouveau.

I really like the work of Alphonse Mucha, especially The Four Seasons
u2
8 Likes

Oh guys…

Don’t get me into history of art… haha I studied for four years (:slight_smile:

here’s my favourite (s)

Matisse (1869-1954)

Basquiat (1960-1988)

Keith Haring (1958-1990)

Caravage (1571-1610)

Delacroix (1798 -1863)

eugene-delacroix-jeune-orpheline-au-cimetiere_a-G-1511449-8880730

Dali (1904-1989)

260px-Salvador_Dali_NYWTS

Miro (1893-1983)

Hokusai (1760-1849)

Arpoja! Stop spamming!! :smile:

9 Likes

I have a great fondness for Mucha.

My local gallery, the Walker in Liverpool, had a Mucha exhibition “In Quest Of Beauty” in 2017. It was truly amazing. I went three times. Couldn’t get enough of it.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/walker/exhibitions/mucha/index.aspx

Their latest show is Charles Rennie Mackintosh. I haven’t seen it yet, but I will, soon.

5 Likes

I’ve always found Giger’s work interesting - if, I have to say, profoundly disturbing.

Here’s a guy who equated all relationships with violence, perverse sexuality, rape, violation, and mechanisation. And then translated his vision into near photographic pictures.

There’s no room for warmth, love, or tenderness in his world.

He was certainly an important artist. But I’m glad I never knew him.

4 Likes

The world has suffered a great loss today as Notre Dame burned. Here are some of the beauties that must surely be lost to us now. A 5 keyboard organ with over 8,000 pipes and beautiful stained glass.

ParisND_Console6

UPDATE: It seems the organ is intact however, it is too early to tell if it has suffered water damage.

7 Likes

@Polyphemus: I changed the category to ‘General Discussion’

3 Likes

Beautiful painting … Circe’s jealousy pouring poison … any relation with a NMS Circe doing likewise ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From the local news it looks like the organ has only suffered minor damage but is saved :slight_smile:

1 Like