BEYOND has released! (plus patches)

I think a reset would annoy too many people who invest large amounts of time in building bases (not me) which is why it seems to me, if they do do a reset, it will be disguised as another galaxy far beyond the current galaxies, in another dimension.

Atlas is limited to making 256 galaxies, of various ā€œflavoursā€ , but maybe there is another Atlas? Also, from a programming point of view, it would be easier, I think.

6 Likes

Panetary rotation was there in the pre-patched release, as far as I know. So thereā€™s not really any reason to doubt that statement.
Of course people would get confused. I found the claim ridiculous too at first, but then I remembered how many navigation aids NMS had at launch: Zero. No beacons, no tags, no lat/long, no compass, nothing! How would anybody not get confused in a rotating frame with exactly zero fixed points of reference. The problem that HG in my opinion didnā€™t realise was that the confusion probably didnā€™t stem from a mechanical problem, but from an interface problem instead.

Maintaining two separate versions of the same system in the same build is a nightmare.

6 Likes

The lore has already told us that Abyss is a power similar to Atlas, but different. Also, we still donā€™t know what Telamon is - but itā€™s clearly something to do with the controlling AI.

Then the virtual worlds are recursive. Universes within universes. Thereā€™s no reason to believe that Atlas is the top of the chain.

4 Likes

I always felt that they should have been trying to preserve the older generation algorithms for already-discovered planets, and restricting the resets to undiscovered systems.

Theyā€™ve had this giant discovery database from the start. A very small subset of that info could be extracted & included in the game itself. For any systems with planets discovered in a previous generation (can ignore warp-throughs), theyā€™d only need a galactic address & a value to indicate which version it was discovered in. Then for those systems, include and use the corresponding older generation algorithms (updated to include any critical new gameplay requirements).

Would seem like the perfect solution for us players. Yes itā€™d be more work for HG, but I think it could also be a boon for them too. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ve always felt pressure knowing the resets are going to piss players off - particularly risky after the infamous launch. That pressure has only grown post-Next with the greater emphases on base-building, and I assume is the biggest factor in the absence of full resets since then.

5 Likes

See my post aboveā€¦

4 Likes

When you pass through a portal, you enter a copy of the universe you just left. It may look the same, but itā€™s not - itā€™s a different instance. The Nexus is also a separate instance, running outside of the main game universe.

At the moment, HG are using the same universe data for both sides of the portal. But thereā€™s no reason they have to. The universe on the other side of a portal could be entirely different - and there could be as many of them as HG care to create.

It would not cause any conflict within the gameā€™s systems to have different universes running in parallel - so long as they are running in different instances.

Thereā€™s no need to lose the stuff thatā€™s already been built. A small change to the portal coordinate system could allow access to an almost infinite number of universes. And they donā€™t necessarily have to be procedural - they could be drawn, mapped, and scripted - just like the Nexus is.

The possibilities are endless.

5 Likes

They also added a base recovery mission for legacy players when NEXT came out. No reason it couldnā€™t be from a list of your bases allowing any and all to be restored.

3 Likes

The problem is, the universe isnā€™t just data. Itā€™s a lot of logic. Thatā€™s inherent to procedural generation, of course. And when you have the same logic in slightly different versions things quickly get messy, not to say extremely tedious and work-intensive.
A functional language would allow you to treat logic as data, potentially mitigating the problem (itā€™s still a super hassle, though). In object oriented languages like C++ that isnā€™t quite so easy, though (not to criticise C++. You wouldnā€™t want to write a state-heavy application like a game in a purely functional language).
One could still achieve a similar end through dynamic library injection to at least keep things organisationally apart, but I doubt they anticipated such a thing and integrated it in the core architecture.
And even moving the game to an architecture that could allow that would likely involve a reset of its ownā€¦

3 Likes

You make a good point. Iā€™m sure this games code is already a bit of a nightmare and adding a completely separate and different way of rendering things would be nightmareĀ³.

So, a reset either wonā€™t happen, or if it does many screams will be heard. I suspect HG have had more than enough of that. Oh well, whatever they have planned, Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be good. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Random thought. Universe reset. But any planets/systems built upon will be kept as legacy planet.

3 Likes

Fairly certain HG stated no more resets somewhere in the recent past. However, I am hoping that this slow crawl story line in the weekened events is leading to the next meaningful update.

1 Like

Atlas Rises ā†’ Next was easy because AR base building was far more limited: 1 base within a highly-restricted flat area. The Next base recovery mission only restores to another ā€œwildā€ base computer plot. Unfortunately, Next+'s build-many-anywhere approach makes restoration much harder for anything not built on a similar flat location.

It get worse when you consider newer additions like power and extraction. For example, I recently built 5 additional bases purely for mining materials. It took a lot of time & effort to build long powerlines/pipelines to move energy and materials back & forth across the meandering terrain. All that would be meaningless to try to restore anywhere else. :confused:

4 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s basically a more limited version of what I was suggesting above. Iā€™d prefer a broader approach though, as it would maintain better continuity: discovering (& uploading) a planet essentially locks in what it looks like from now on. I think the much larger number of systems affected would also make the devsā€™ efforts more worth it to attempt.

3 Likes

I think it would be possible for them to allow us to keep the current universe and travel to a new version of the universe, such as through portals. Thatā€™s basically what going to another galaxy does, but this new universe would actually have new things in it.

That way, everyone could keep their bases in the old universe, but also visit the new universe and see new things.

And before anyone says it, this would not take up a bunch more file space, not with how NMS proc gen works, your game would just switch over to a different universe seed when you go through the portal. The only additional file space would be for the new assets (new plants, creatures, buildings) that the new universe has.

5 Likes

I didnā€™t even think of power :flushed:

3 Likes

Iā€™m fairly they certain they said ā€œNo more resets for now, but at some point weā€™ll probably have to againā€.

Thatā€™s just the problem. It isnā€™t. The different galaxies are generated by feeding different parameters (and a different seed) into the same logic. But a reset is the result of logic changes in the procedural generation. Leaving any system in the galaxy intact requires you to leave the old logic intact while having the new one in parallel. Itā€™s not so much a problem of how to program it, itā€™s a problem of having to maintain double the code, much of which will be identical. Itā€™s messy and it will lead to bugs if not handled very carefully.

3 Likes

Mac, that idea of using some sort of portal or lets say some black hole like route would make an interesting addition to the game map :slight_smile:

Maybe have once every 100 regions of a galaxy place one new system that had no planets but just a Black hole that would lead to a unique planet that no one has ever seen. One with different Procedural Generation for Cities, new larger Fauna or maybe the Giant Snake / Rotation of the Planets etc.

Keeping the current universe intact and forcing the discovery of these places to be based only on actual exploration as these places would not have any portal access. You could still find them by going near one with a portal and flying to the system. Just couldnā€™t go directly to one via random portal hopping :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another possibility is that they might finally add the World of Glass that the lore has been hinting at from the very beginning. My vision of it is a single planet that can be accessed via portal; roaming biological horrors and corrupted sentinels are everywhere and attack on sight. There is no sun so it is always night. Instead of all the normal crystals, there is only black crystals that can recharge your protection/life support a little bit. You do not have access to your ship and there is constant Dark hazard for which there are no protection upgrades.

Basically, it is an ultimate challenge area you will want to bring other players with you to help, and there are buildings far away you need to make it to without ships or vehicles for some new storyline.

6 Likes

Yes! Yes! World of Glass! I would love that!

4 Likes

Post on NMS facebook page, 2 new jetpack trails to unlock on quicksilver missionsā€¦
Rainbow :rainbow:
and
Darkā€¦

4 Likes