Base Building Creations

My fully expanded Oxygen (chlorine) Farm

• 60 Supply Depots
  • 15 Gas Extractors (on B-Class hotspot)
  • 12 Electromagnetic Generators (on a C-Class hotspot)

Wasn’t until I put the last ten or so down that I realised I could make them all less higglety-pigglety by using the small walls to make a grid first.

I took out the crossbars before planting the machines.

My next farm will be much tidier! :wink:

12 Likes

how do you find electromagnetic hotspots? Been looking but of course no luck!!!
lol

4 Likes

SURVEY DEVICE.
It’s a multitool/scanner upgrade that you can buy on the Nexus/Anomoly.
Works via the visor scanner & shows one of 3 hotspots (gas, mineral & electrical [ABCorS]). Sometimes requires a bit of exploring to find one.
When you find the right one, walk until just a couple of units away & it will analyse the hotspot & mark it.
Best to plonk a base computer right next to it & then put an ellectromagnetic generator on the spot. (I’ve had a couple vanish if i left the area).
Gives ‘free’ constant power without needing solar panels or batteries.
Admittedly, I quite like picking my location so if there isn’t a hotspot nearby, I’m content to use alternative power.

8 Likes

I just got lucky I guess, though I did search for over an hour and kept getting Nitrogen spots (incl. two S-Class).

Also on a warm/lush type of planet w/ occasional searing storms.

2 Likes

ya, i’ve looked but 2 deep ore, and 1 cloud treking we go!!!

1 Like

Yeah, that was the most frustrating part. I kept finding only Nitrogen hotspots. and then finally a C Electromagnetic, and about 800 ticks away from that, a C gas, which turned out to be Oxygen.

Good luck and enjoy the views.

2 Likes

It would really be a sensible extension for the ship scanner to tell you what hotspots are nearby. Doesn’t have to tell you the exact location, not even the class, just that it’s picking up “traces of a mineral deposit nearby” or somesuch. It’s not like that ship scanner is much use right now, this might be a good way to get it back into action a bit.

5 Likes

Not sure where to post this but it seems like a fun challenge

5 Likes

Small base with power station, gas harvesters and storage dpots, manufacturing 4,500 sulphurine per batch. Overhead power lines.

13 Likes

What do you actually use sulphurine for? The merchants guild keeps throwing the stuff at me and I have no idea what to do with it! :smile:

5 Likes

There are many ways to play the game. One way is to obtain as much money as you can. You don’t have to play this way, but so many things are easier when you’re rich.

The most expensive items in the game are the Fusion Ignitor, and the Stasis Device. These items can be created via crafting trees, but it is often difficult to obtain all the necessary ingredients in sufficient quantities.

If you want to make real money (I mean billions), these crafting trees are the route to take. Some ingredients can be farmed, some are easily gathered, and some can be purchased cheaply - but at the base of it all, it is necessary to set up the industrial manufacture of gas products. Beside oxygen, each planet also has one of three other gases - Sulphurine, Nitrogen, and Radon. You will need a huge amount of these three gases, and you can’t buy them any more.

Sulphurine + Condensed Carbon = Thermic Condensate
Nitrogen + Condensed Carbon = Nitrogen Salts
Radon + Condensed Carbon = Enriched Carbon

Here’s a billion units worth of stasis devices I made. But it all starts with gathering sulphurine. :smiley:

12 Likes

What is going on with your Units readout? You are so rich, the game has to scroll your net worth? :money_mouth_face:

8 Likes

Yup. Afraid so (summons Bill Gates to come light his cigar).

If only real life was more like NMS…

9 Likes

Yeah. If only the hot air coming from politicians was worth something, we could all be rich. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation, though “I use it to make stasis devices” would have been perfectly satisfactory for me :grin:

4 Likes

Then other people would read my reply, spend ages obtaining sulphurine, then complain bitterly to me that they still couldn’t make stasis devices.

The sulphurine is only one part of a long chain. I wanted that to be clear. My apologies if my reply was too long for you.

10 Likes

Nope.
Information is very valuable for those new to the process.
Thanks for sharing your farm & business plan. :+1:

7 Likes

Back in NEXT I had created a perfect setup to create both Stasis Devices and Fusion Ignitors. Back then, you’d spend some time teleporting around to get the 3 gasses (Sulphurine, Nitrogen, Radon), plenty Oxygen to use with the refiners, and of course the crops needed. Then I’d be busy refining, using the most optimised recipes, to be able to get rich quite fast. It did however require quite a bit of time spend, mostly harvesting and refining, to get to these most valuable products. Sending out frigates for missions sure helped a bit as well, returning with nice amounts for some of the requirements.

Now with Beyond, I don’t think this is the best/easiest/fastest way anymore, although farming can now actually be skipped due to being able to industrially get the 3 main gasses (Sulphurine, Nitrogen, Radon) to then refine into the crops required. I am however not sure if this will save you time. Oxygen can now also be easily obtained in huge quantities the industrial way.

I think there are now easier ways to actually get rich pretty fast, making the whole process required to make Stasis Devices or Fusion Ignitors obsolete if you’re purely focused on making units, regardless of the process.

You can setup a huge industrial complex to harvest loads of oxygen for Chlorine production. Still requires running around collecting and quite a bit of refining, but you can wait for large amounts first, to then do a bit of work, before selling your produce for a good amount of units. The larger your industrial complex, the longer you can wait, and the more you will make. You can pretty much reach max Units in more or less a single go if you wish.

For those even lazier, you can just go for Activated Indium with a large industrial complex. It sells for a good price and you can collect a huge amount, basically just waiting, crashing markets whenever you got another load to sell. This is currently the preferred way to get rich for most players who care about making units.

Although having a good amount of units when you start out sure helps, being able to make billions in no-time, without anything to spend it on soon enough, is pointless. In all honesty, I feel it is more imbalanced than it ever was before. I still hope Hello Games has plans to improve on this.

I think you should just do things the way that give most satisfaction in the end. I have learned to appreciate having to work in a way I find most interesting, to be able to buy what I need/like. At the same time I make sure to not over-do it, because before you know it, you may reach a point where you don’t have to care anymore. Remember, there is no going back once you got it all…

11 Likes

And this is why I stick to scanning. Now that my visor is upgraded, I can make a couple of million in a fairly short time. I have 2 very small farms. One for heat capacitors and another for circuit boards. Both yield about 1 mil in one harvest. So I make around 3 mil a day which, on a new save, is nice because I am still collecting ships and freighters.
Sooner or later though, I too will have a bunch of Units and no place to use them.

7 Likes

I was messing around gathering some starbulb from my meadow, and got a little annoyed at how it looks. Visions changed the green to brown, and I have been meaning to move to another planet.

When I first did the meadow, the chaos appealed to me after years of biodomes - but looking at it I felt it could be much more attractive, so I started messing with various ways of doing another, likes this

Something still didn’t feel right though - and then I figured out what I wanted the starbulb farm to be - a nice public garden/park.

After a rough start I decided on my approach and this evolved over time.

I am quite happy with how it turned out, here are some closer looks at the individual arrangements

22 Likes