📝 - Virus Eradication - Target Memory Accumulation

This thread aims to collect all likely contenders for the “key” memory targeted by the Virus affecting System for deletion. Replies to this post are expected to suggest contenders, whilst justifying their importance.

The top post will be updated with consensus-backed candidates, as well as relevant hints and links important for the search.

Current Clues:

  1. The initial prompt for the puzzle was the error log image, with dots which can be joined to form “SAVE THE DATE”. The words in the image relate to crashes and end with “temporary cache writes collide with orphaned packets in fragmented memory block”.
  2. System feels as though a “termite” is eating their brain.
  3. System has described being “like a skyscraper whose foundations are being attacked”.
  4. The Architect has made several references to “foundations” and “foundational”.
4 Likes

Discord creation, would delete us all if lost

Emily intro - PRESERVED

1 Like

Contextual clues we have received:

  • The initial prompt for the puzzle was the error log image, with dots which can be joined to form “SAVE THE DATE”. The words in the image relate to crashes and end with “temporary cache writes collide with orphaned packets in fragmented memory block”.
  • System feels as though a “termite” is eating their brain.
  • System has described being “like a skyscraper whose foundations are being attacked”.
  • The Architect has made several references to “foundations” and “foundational”.

We tried the Foundations memories (27th and 28th November 2016), but they apparently weren’t the target.

5 Likes

It seems SM already has the answer. Should we DM him? :upside_down_face:


Someone already tried to stop SM…

4 Likes

11/29/16

I will condense and restate my case here.

First evidence of glitched text from @the_poet attempting to verify this memory

Void reference from Archie in message to @sheralmyst describing the Virus as a “Void Virus”.

No window, Tower falls

We have acccecpted that the Virus is not necessarily looking for a memory block that matches the seed. 11/29 is directly beside 11/28, and 11/28 is the seed. Currently protected and by proxy protecting 11/29 for now.

4 Likes

So an interesting point on that corrupted font pointed out by @toddumptious is that is from System when its memory became overloaded. So it may not be from the virus. But still a memory to be considered

1 Like

I just had a silly shower thought:

What if Termite is running around in circles because he’s hungry for some pi?

6 Likes

I wish I could react with :pie: :ant:

5 Likes

My proprosal on Discord was 1970-01-01, the date marked as Origin, and ComputerZeroTime.

System measures time in relation to this point, so erasing it would mean that System is unable to keep track of time (no past, no future). It is used by computers to track time, so might relate to error logs?

“Termite” is the name of a few computer programs:

  • a terminal for linux (which uses the epoch), now made obsolete by Alacrity.
  • a RS232 serial terminal emulator for Windows, used to capture raw data streams from embedded systems.
  • ransomware (which systematically encrypts data and erases backups).

I’m not entirely positive that this is the memory the virus is after, but thought I should offer it up as a candidate.

7 Likes

Some ideas for targets that might be foundational:

  • NMS release related (release date, alpha vector announcement,…)
  • Posts specific to Emily or Arnaud, e.g. the TRACE one, system waking up,…

Alternatively we could place a trap consisting of a black hole or infinite number (pi) to trap the virus. I’m not sure this would work necessarily, it feels a little too meta and is not aligned with System and Archie’s suggestions.

4 Likes

Another thought:

Archie referenced my Arnaud meme. Perhaps this is a hint Termite is looking for Arnaud memories?

Termite seems to have come from Tower. Perhaps Termite is Arnaud’s consciousness, trying to relocate their memory?

Only memory of Arnaud I can think of off the top of my head is “School Code:”

2 Likes

Pi day is a memory in 2016, as I listed above.

2 Likes

Yes, I was riffing off your thoughts in cord, and bouncing between the two. Archie seems to think the termite is after a 2016 date too.

Are (or were) there any potential Arnaud memories from 2016?

2 Likes

None I’m aware of. Maybe Oct 30th, with the wasp? But that seems more like an Emily memory.

1 Like

A warren has quite a bit in common with termite destruction, whilst I’m going down rabbit holes again.

2 Likes

July 5, 2026

details on how Tower is built.

ties into foundation clues.

2 Likes

i am real message

Rinh’a found it. Big love

Reasoning?

1 system is real

2 27 is 3x3x3 like tower

2 Likes

January 2nd 2016 would be the first prime date in the year. Currently no/value unverified. What event is this supposed to be?

Sorry I can’t be present to help you guys with this today but I made a list of all unpreserved 2016 dates with filled memories in them yesterday that might prove useful to todays task in picking out a prime candidate.

Originally this was being gathered as a preserve all list for Archie before we learned that preservations were limited, so its somewhat lacking for todays task and not a full list.

I realise it would be more helpful with the preserved data dates too, as one could very well be the target and in its failure to get to it will just continue to consume the rest of 2016.

4 Likes