Screenshots v2.0

Using the mouse to get a clean screenshot in photo mode is nice, but does that still end up in the Steam screenshots folder? I specifically use Steam screenshots to get an uncompressed copy/duplicate in a folder I specified (Steam option). It requires me to use Steam (F12). I would like to know if getting an uncompressed screenshot is actually possible without showing the location details. Does hiding the HUD also hide the location?

3 Likes

And a lovely one at that…

My first runner

Cool cave

10 Likes

Mine are in the same folder as the rest, no matter what button I use. I just have to be careful as the mouse is easily bumped and the camera moves.
I think I tried hiding the hud but the address shows.

4 Likes

@DevilinPixy Mine wind up in the same folder too.

Camera mode using mouse left click.

Camera mode using F12.

F12.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for checking!

I will assume my Steam setting to create uncompressed duplicates will then work as before.

4 Likes

13 Likes

I think everyone has now answered your question.

I would have said yes too :slight_smile:

Both mouse click and F12 screenshots end up in the Steam folder so you can access them within Steam’s browser if you wish to display them. I checked the file sizes and I’d bet that both are compressed in a similar way. Both save methods did not seem any more or less compressed than the other. I had some slight aspect ratio difference, approximately 10px between the ones with the address burn and the others without. The F12 was the correct PC aspect. I also play on a second monitor TV, so that may be where the discrepency crept in. Both though are 96dpi.

12 Likes

Hmmmm…something has changed since yesterday. It seem using the mouse button now crops my images the same as using the A button on my controller. Using F12 is the only way for me to achieve an uncropped image. This was an issue with my A button all though the pre-BEYOND launch. Now it is also a mouse issue. I think I noticed it after the last patch but, was too tired to pay much attention…

Mouse

A button

F12

New ladders means no more showing off my backpack upgrades…:slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

I just checked and indeed using photo mode with the in-game button (mouse in my case), does indeed also save an uncompressed copy (.png) to my screenshots folder.

For clarification, this is what I have been referring to.

At the bottom right, you see the check mark for saving an uncompressed copy. You can select a custom location for them by clicking the ‘SCREENSHOT FOLDER’. I just prefer to have an uncompressed png instead of a compressed jpg when I want a good quality image. All seems fine, as long as I don’t use F12, although may be useful in some cases.

5 Likes

So, this is a thing now. I wonder where he went? :smile:

I also love the new pop-up tutorials. They are so much more informative than the old ones. And nice to look at.

10 Likes

Yep. The Photo Mode method of screen shot saves to the Steam screenshots folder. An advantage from my perspective is that it omits all the HUD symbols.

2 Likes

Just checked if disabling the HUD through the menu would hide the location stuff, but I am afraid this is not the case. So you are stuck with it when being forced to use F12 for now.

2 Likes

so excited to find this thread!

11 Likes

If you have not experienced the low gravity of a desolate moon, you need to go now. I might have to build a base on this one.

Yep, that’s me up there.

16 Likes

Like shooting imaginary fish in an imaginary barrel.

11 Likes

14 Likes

Sorry was saving trawling through the screenshots when I had enough likes and love to spare so only seeing this now. As @Xion4012 mentioned I was having trouble finding the photo modes new home in psvr.

The truth is, I’m afraid, is its not available in psvr. I reckon it has something to do with how easy it is to zip around in photo mode and how easy that makes certain people puke in a VR experience. Id say they are working on a VR friendly version of photo mode and it will be with us soon as it makes certain missions impossible to complete (photo missions) and makes the new feature of taking a base photo when naming/uploading completely impossible. It just sticks to the spot and you can’t take a picture even if you try.

Another downside or oversight is the PlayStation Interface that appears when you try to name discoveries or bases, can only be navigated with the Dualshock Controller. Not ideal if you are playing with move controls, trying to locate your Dualshock with a headset on is not recommended.

Oddly enough the dreams beta has this exact same issue, if creating with move controls and naming your saved levels or items, it requires the Dualshock.

This seems to be more an issue on sonys end in that the text input overlay that appears whilst in game is not set up to recognise move controller input and it seems the devs are at the mercy of Sony until they update their entire GUI to fully support the peripherals they themselves are trying to sell to their customers :joy:

Sorry, rambled on there, for now you can hit the share button to take a photo and it will capture a screen from one of the lenses so you won’t fit the whole view in, not sure which eye it captures from so keep that in mind when framing your shots :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll be sharing some fish eye VR screen caps soon I hope :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks for the response. I kinda figured it wasn’t available in VR. I’ve been switching out the VR for the more grindy stuff anyway. I’m not using the move controllers and I find that the DS4 is a little clunky when I’m using my multi-tool and the menus are all over the place. I haven’t messed with any of the view settings but I’m hoping that will clear things up.

1 Like

I honestly didn’t see myself using the move controllers before launch, I’d tried in other games and wasn’t a fan of it, especially with teleport controls.

I realised we could do smooth movement and turning in no mans sky and was very happy once I got used to moving with it.

Then I realised I couldn’t walk backwards or strafe side to side. So again I commited to returning to dualshock control.

Then I realised you can do all that by turning the left move control to the sides to strafe and towards you to back up.

Then I got in a ship and realised flying was extremely difficult. Again, this was something that made me think, well, move til the novelty wears off then back to dualshock.

Then I got to grips with flying and I’ve still yet to switch back. This is not going like I had thought :joy:

The lack of a barrel roll though and my flying skills still not up to par when it comes to dogfighting pirates, will be the thing that pushes me back to dualshock 4… But hey, I’ve said that before :wink:

2 Likes

My sister has move controllers so I might try hers just to see what I think. I need to make a lot more room around myself first though.

Here’s some screenshots so we don’t get scolded for being off topic :smile:

Don’t bring a hauler to a dogfight.

There should be a mission to change appearance when you start a new save. It’s like the clone wars around here.

13 Likes