Physics/Math Jargon Q&A

should we move this to the knowledge center? I want to keep these discussions going - I am learning a lot and enjoy these discussions.

https://forums.etarc.org/c/knowledge-center

I’d be okay with that, but we should probably get the go-ahead from @Emily first!

Also, I wrote up a bit for solar wind, wanna take a look?

1 Like

I’d like if you moved all this into the Knowledge Center, but it needs to be broken up into one thread per topic :slight_smile: if you have the time to do that, awesome!

1 Like

I could definitely do that tomorrow! You’re sure it wouldn’t make the Knowledge Center too cluttered to have so many separate topics?

I could post an individual thread for each topic over there, but include a link back here to keep this thread as a sort of main hub where people can keep posting questions if they desire.

1 Like

The idea of the Knowledge Center is to have a BUNCH of different topics, each focused on one specific thing. So if someone says “hey, I don’t understand X” you can point them to one thread that has various members addressing that subject in easy to understand ways :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t comment on the math side of things, but as far as the game is concerned, many experiments have proven that the bonus you get is a percentage of the base modifier of the upgrade * the amount of similar things around it.
Thus, having your units arranged in a +1, +3, +2 line gives a bigger boost than a +1, +2, +3 line.
Lets go with 10% bonus per adjacent upgrade (it’s probably not, but it’s easy math to illustrate the above).
1.1 + 3.6 (2 adjacent, so 10% twice) + 2.2 = 6.9 vs 1.1 + 2.4 + 3.3 = 6.8
Now this is especially true for multitool upgrades, since you can have the +3 units in the middle, giving them as much as 4 adjacent upgrades to improve their bonus.
For optimal layouts, you can check (among others) a site like: No Man's Sky: Inventory Placement - Orcz.com, The Video Games Wiki

Notice that this is all strictly ingame. If I read the math description above, I am tempted to say that this game mechanic is indeed not a group in a strict mathematical sense, since it is not associative (the order does matter) and it violates identity as well (the members of the group do change one another).

The boundaries all contain Lore in them they’re usually named after their closest waypoint. They talk about the races and the fact that every universe Atlas creates contains the Korvax the Gek and the Vy’Kyeen. At one point the boundary breaks the fourth wall and adrezses the travelere himself

@SnailynRage: Just a reminder that ‘Archived’ topics, are no longer meant for active discussion. I think you may have been confused by the 'June ‘17’, seeing it as recent, but is actually from June 2017, over a year old.

1 Like