Screenshots v2.0

11 Likes

I was exploring this planet on foot for about an hour, finding lots of debris sites (the building locations thay just have damaged machinery in the centre) when eventually I happened upon this guy.

I was so surprised! I thought you could only encounter them at crashed ship sites.

A storm was raging and when I talked to him, He recharged my suit :slight_smile:

Talking to them again afterwards let me know they were there to conduct some serious work.

I decided to leave him to it and set off to find the next building, it was just over the horizon and that’s when I bumped into another NPC, at a debris site, and not a crashed ship site.

This one was quite the sad tale… He’d come here to die and asked to be left in peace. He had nothing for me other than expressing his wishes to leave the sim. Perhaps he learned of its true nature?

I decided to take a photo so they’d be remembered. Rest well, Guyemod.

Also found this double hole in the ground, the sun happened to be perfectly overhead, no moving required

The inner spot between the holes was covered in grass and just big enough to sit or stand inside.

17 Likes

Fabulous planet.

Entranced by the beauty and running from the Flaming Hail, I jumped into a cave and began to explore.

I found water and dove in.

I swam and I swam.

I swam until I was thoroughly lost.

When I finally found land, I realized just how lost I really was.

Finally, I thought I was out.

But my ship could not land. I was still in the caves.

Finding no land route out, I dove back into the next body of water I found.

So I swam on and on until up seemed down and down seemed up.

Then, I began to notice the searing heat of the planet reaching me once again.

Suddenly, there it was. A way out!

Upon my exit, this guy was waiting for me.

Once again, it seems I have passed some test. Some ritual of survival. Perhaps the Atlas is preparing me. But, for what?

20 Likes

Very cool pics, good story.

3 Likes

Wait, you were in a cave in a cave in a cave? And it was raining in there? Don’t think I ever saw that before… :smile:

So I had a nice time too today. On a desert planet with annoying sentinels, I discovered a rock structure that reminded me of the good old times when there were perlin worm planets. It was arching down over a nearby mountain. So I climbed the mountain to get a good look at it:

I realised while climbing the mountain that the thing was a whole lot bigger than I estimated from the distance. The mountain was probably one of the highest I ever climbed in NMS, and this thing was looming over it. So I decided to get under it to check it out:

Yeah, this isn’t me inside a cave. That’s me under the bloody thing. It looks like the whole thing is basically levitating over the mountain, following its downward slope. Something that actually makes sense if you know the first few things about how NMS generates terrain. The whole thing is close enough to provide the ecosystem growing underneath it from storms, however.

So by this point, of course I had to get above it. Trouble was, I couldn’t just jetpack up there. THe thing was just too large. So I went uphill, until I found a place where rock met rock, and started digging myself up. I digged for quite a bit longer than anticipated. The whole thing was over a 100 units thick, but eventually I came out on top to a nice view. I was reminded that I was standing on a very thick slab of rock levitating over one of the tallest mountains I encountered:

Yap, I could barely see the “floor” of the world from up there. The black things you can see below to the right? That’s flying worms, which are pretty abundant on this world. And it was massive enough to feel like a world of its own (the image was taken at maximum zoom out in photo mode). I hiked steeply downhill until I finally reached the bottom of the structure. By now it was night, and although this is about the lowest point, it’s still possibly the highest drop I’ve ever seen:

There’s some wild things out there. Now I want to find a planet with such wild terrain that is mostly covered in water. That would be a pretty deep ocean!

16 Likes

Moon in orbit around ringed planet. Stellar corruption detected. Landed to investigate…

Greeted with a storm strewn planet cast in monochrome and a tint of red.

Saught the aid of locals to navigate what they referred to as a “mist-ridden labyrinth”. Taming the local fauna, which knew the way instinctually, came highly recommended.

Night fell in fast and with it went the red tint that guided me casting me in near darkness. I noticed some shelter was nearby so I fare safe journey to my friend and took off on foot.

Upon landing I failed to notice this planet not only boasted extreme weather, but extreme sentinel activity. When I approached what I thought was a safe haven, a slumbering walker rose to greet me.

I died shortly after this :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Did you run and jump off? :smiley: One of my favorite things to do in NMS.
@toddumptious, love the silhouette shot on the strider.

5 Likes

@sheralmyst
I was exploring a cave next to where I landed, that would become mere cracks that I couldn’t even get a decent photo of. It just looks like a geometric pattern.
I’d drop 50 units off sheer cliffs into little open areas and then discover another crack that went up or off sideways. Like you, I explored for ages continually discovering these frightening claustrophobic slits that access yet even more areas. Sometimes up, sometimes sideways, sometimes straight down. I got completely lost.
Eventually I found myself in a dead end and resolved to dig myself out.
I was only about 10 units below the surface but I was now most of the way up a mountain with my ship nearly 1000 units away.
Caves can be so much fun now on the right planets. :smile:

7 Likes

Amazing!!!

5 Likes

17 Likes

16 Likes

Wonderful! (as in full of wonder and adventure!) :heart:

4 Likes

Nah, I hadn’t saved in over an hour or so…

5 Likes

14 Likes

Bird’s Eye View of the ridges and mountains on this dusty, stormy planet.

Home, Home on the Range

Very Small Caves

He thought I was an easy target.

14 Likes

hint: portable Save tech (Save point or Save Beacon, as you can pick it up again.) I keep one handy. in my backpack just for such occasions. :smile:

7 Likes

Too much crap already in that pack :rofl:

6 Likes

Nice thing.

What to do? What to do?

Fetch?

13 Likes

Funny how the brilliant red-oranges of the trees on this planet keep it from becoming drear and depressing.

Found a 48/8 Boxy Hauler there. Couldn’t make out what colour it was. Now I call it my Lavender Lorry. Not pretty but very handy for hauling a truckload of goods to the nearest highest bidder.

Address shown in case anyone wants a fugly 48/8 Hauler…

14 Likes

Out of sight, out of mind

Zen garden

14 Likes