Cable box under tv? Making room on my TV stand

Hello all. Now i have had quite a bit experience with computers, consoles, technology in general but I cannot seem to make a decision on this. Is it safe to put my Cable box(optimum) directly underneath my tv? As in the small space between tv stand and tv. It is just the right size and we got an Xbox One recently. My better judgment tells me not to do this but I am cramped for space and REALLY do not want to put it on the lower shelf (Animals, dust, and so on). I am worried the heat from the box will affect the tv it tends to get quite hot. Any thoughts, cautionary tales… etc?

2 Likes

Hmmmmm…yeah, cable boxes are so inefficient when it comes to energy use making them quite toasty. My mom recently got upgraded to a newer box and it does not put out the heat my older one does. I guess you could try it and keep an eye on it, or a thermometer. If the cabinet is open on the back, it may be okay. If it is closed, well…I don’t know…it just needs good airflow.

2 Likes

Cable boxes do need to breathe and usually have their venting through the top side. As long as there is enough room above the box you should be fine. A flat panel TV/monitor on a stand is likely not going to cover the box too much, so could be fine putting it in between. As @sheralmyst said, it may be wise to check temps. I am not sure how much the additional heat may be affecting the screen. I doubt that any heat directly aimed at the display is a smart thing to do. Having the heat behind is likely not an issue.

You could consider mounting the cable box on the wall behind the screen if possible? Not sure what your setup exactly looks like, but if there is enough room behind, it may be an option. I am sure there are wall mounts for devices available in stores. Alternatively you could find a creative solution for wall mount. Just do a test to ensure your remote still functions. Often not an issue due to reflection, even on considered ‘non’-reflective surfaces.

2 Likes

Is it possible to mount a board on top of your TV stand but under your actual TV, thus creating an extension behind the TV?
This might provide you with a simple shelf for the Cable Box with a ‘window’ for using the remote, through the spot you were originally thinking of putting the box.
Does that make sense?
I’m guessing your TV sits on a modern stand unit like a cabinet…or is it fully enclosed?

2 Likes

Here is a terrible picture to get an idea. Don’t judge me I need to clean up a bitimage

The spot where the remote is, is the space I speak of. I plan on putting our Xbone next to the ps4. Your comments gave me a thought. I can pull the TV forward a bit and potentially line up the cable box screen with the tv giving it room the breath out the back. My concern is if that heat hitting the screen would be an issue so scooting it back would relieve that, the tv itself is always cool but causing back heat feels acceptable in this scenario @DevilinPixy but I will also check to see if I can mount the cable box. I actually had the thought but wasn’t sure if it was silly so perhaps I will do it. Only other thing under the tv is the pass-through box for the PSVR

5 Likes

@frozenbullet7

Have you considered “cutting the cord” and getting rid of cable altogether? It’ll save you a monthly bill and shelf space too!

2 Likes

Honestly, don’t tempt me. I personally don’t watch any cable unless i am going to bed. Mostly it’s the girls that end up recording shows etc.

2 Likes