Wishes for Update 1.3, 1.4 and beyond

For the Pathfinder update the PS4 had new trophies, I see the opportunity for several that could be added for the new story and missions.

Does anyone know if this is in the works for the new update?

2 Likes

For those of us who use inverted look/flight controls, please have it the same when accessing the galactic map :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

For the love of all things holy can we get some different animal noises as well? That mewling sound emitted by herds is like nails down a chalkboard tbh. It’s ultra distracting and distressing in the same way a crying baby is.

3 Likes

Planetary Map

Essentially starts as an empty globe that you can zoom in and move around. As you discover areas the globe gets filled in, Poles, the Equatorial Line and other points of interest like crashed freighters and buildings like portals, ruins etc would be added automatically. Plus you would have the ability to add waypoints and custom markers for points of interest like resource deposits or cool creatures.

I think this would encourage exploration more as people’s OCD would force them to explore every inch of a planet and bring home just how large each planet really is.

9 Likes

Agreed.
“…bring home just how large each planet really is…”.
I drove an exocraft halfway around a planet to see a portal. I mentioned it in my tale I wrote.
Seeing the landscape continually unfold and change in front of you but never replicate is very cool. Tundra turned into mountains and back again as I went.
Yes, it did get boring eventually but experiencing Proc.Gen. like that really gives you insight into not only the possibilities of proc.gen but also makes you appreciate the sheer size of each planet. We miss so much.
Imagine if they brought in even more terrain variation onto each planet. You’d spend days on just one planet exploring.
I recomend giving the old nomad drive a go on an open planet with less trees…ohh and watch out for sinkholes.

6 Likes

Everyone’s suggestions so far have got me dreaming hard!

I have a small contribution - Submersibles! - Perhaps a new upgrade/tech blueprint (series-of OR questline to obtain) to enable the NOMAD to switch/spin/reverse its hover-gear into ‘aquatic-mode’ or something like that.

NOTE: I really don’t care if we are like beta-testers for this… Nothing in life is made truly perfect, its humanities nature to try improving things as we go. Personally I see years and years left for the NMS simulation. Exciting to think how it will be 10 years from now… VR goes without saying! … I hope to play when old & grey and if I may beyond the grave!

4 Likes

When arriving on a new planet I love nothing more than flying low and spamming the scanner, seeing what’s about and marveling at the strange new world below me. I’m 9/10 looking for a settlement I can land at and take off for free but I will happily land and explore something that interests me.

For this reason I’d like an “Exobike” that would take up inventory space so I can deploy it wherever I want to explore easier.

Imagine how many people would have done Moulesmariner’s journey had there been a Planet Map…

4 Likes

gosh, I love the little critters mewing :tiger2: and squeaking :mouse2:

it’s that rolling snare drum sound sequence that gets me, every time a sentinel turns red, :rage: “d-dat-dat-dat, d-dat-dat-dat, d-dat-dat-dat, d-dat-dat-dat.”

I’ve turned the music down, close to off, to avoid the distraction but now I miss the appropriate ambient when exploring.

I guess it wouldn’t be so bad if, in survival, every other planet wasn’t trying to get you. :grimacing:

1 Like

Ok , I agree with what they said :point_up_2:
And when I figure this out a little better and get a little more time I will submit my ideas

1 Like

This is a feedback thread.

@Kadayi
yep, thought I was doing just that.

1 Like

I’m just going to suggest a small (and maybe logical) feature.

Now that freighters can warp, it would make a lot of sense if you could install an economy scanner in them as well, since you’d most likely use your freighter for trading no? Might as well see where you’re going.

4 Likes

I like it…I imagine something like a automated repositioning of the landing struts to act as fins.

I think we miss out on a lot of excellent exploration because of how slow and time limited our characters are in water.

My thoughts for good ways for improving this are:

1. A new exosuit tech with upgrades similar to the jetpack,
  2. The introduction of power suits (or small mechs) that you can temporarily equip/ ride that may include combat, aquatic, flight, or exploration as functional types.
  3. A new type of exocraft.
3 Likes

@LordMarkov Agreed. Your thoughts are well grounded (or submerged lol) and any one of 1-3 would be great (all 3 would be greatest!) - Subnautica springs to mind…

6 Likes

Wow…now that’s a fish! Good discovery.

I know how you feel. It seems like every planet is trying to kill you now. I can handle the extreme weather, but it seems like every pleasant weather planet I find is infested with sentinals. Frustrating.

1 Like

The problem is that different players have different styles and they conflict in this regard. I’ve seen gamers criticise a player’s video because they “rushed around” like it was a death race. Others complain about people “wandering around” looking like a tourist instead of quickly gathering resources or killing creatures.

This is likely a matter of playing style where Hello Games cannot please everyone.

5 Likes

While I like exploring and would prefer to explore the daylights out of each planet, Sean Murray did say in pre-release interviews that they deliberately planned planet features (for example single-biomes) and exploration capabilities to discourage planet-squatting and encourage people to get off-planet. Even when they added base-building, they did it in a way that forced players to go to other star systems to get all the NPCs, etc. So I’m not sure that this is a realistic wish.

2 Likes

Yet others complain that No Man’s Sky is not a true starship flight simulator with more controls. Maybe adding an “auto-pilot” toggle would fill your desire and yet allow more players to be happy. Myself, I don’t want to have to learn more realistic starship flight controls.

2 Likes

I suspect that the built-in delays like this are intentional. No Man’s Sky was envisioned as more of a “walkabout” of universe size. Sean Murray grew up in the remote Australian Outback, after all. These actions that are not instantaneous don’t bother me, as I like to just relax and chill with the game vs. rushing around all tensed up.

1 Like