Shortwave Comeback-Ukraine/Russia Discussion

:rofl: and so it goes in war. We may never know the truth. If the guy was indeed the ghost and he died, that could have resulted in moral loss. To deny he ever existed and now say the ghost is all of us, moral rebounds…

4 Likes

I am going to post this article because more and more news outlets are reporting it. However, I do agree with psychologists, sometimes we look for an explanation when someone goes against all norms…but insiders are saying that they have been trying to tell people for years that Putin is seriously sick, so, here it is.

There are also numerous articles stating that his removal is already underway and cannot be stopped and countries like Estonia are already working on ways to bring in a truely democratic government once Putin is gone.
It is all very interesting but, so much can happen…(it could also be a disinformation campaign)

1 Like

Now that sounds rather like wishful thinking…

1 Like

I have to agree. Estonia is a lovely place, but it’s tiny, and mostly rural.

One of the major problems is that during the Soviet period, the Russians operated a deliberate policy of “Russification” in the satellite states. As a reward, often on retirement, good Russian communist party members were given property in places like Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, and Ukraine. They would take their families with them, and they formed the basis of an ethnic Russian middle class. All children had to study Russian in school. The local languages were officially denigrated (for instance, the road signs were bi-lingual - but they were in Russian first). The Russians developed a colonialist attitude, and the Estonians were made to feel like second-class citizens in their own country. Many people came to resent the dominant presence of the Russians, but there was little they could do.

When independence came in the 1980s and 1990s, there was a considerable reversal. The people of the former soviet states rediscovered their national identities, and it was the ethnic Russians who felt their identities and culture threatened.

That’s basically the source of the breakaway movement in the Donbas region of Ukraine - the area has a heavy concentration of ethnic Russians, moved there by the Soviets. They still consider themselves Russian, and they don’t want to be Ukrainian. That’s what Putin is using in his bid to take the whole country.

However, Estonia also has problems between the native Estonian population, and the immigrant Russians. Add to that the fact that Estonia is new to democracy, and has been experiencing considerable problems with corruption in government.

Granted. it’s 10 years since I was last in Tallinn, and things may have changed - but back then, the Estonians did not like the Russians.

It seems unlikely to me that Estonia would be able to teach the Russians how to run a country.

There is, however, a germ of truth in the suggestion. If whoever takes over from Putin want to make a success of Russia, they would be better looking at the Eastern European nations than the West. Our histories are very different.

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

That is, incidentally, the guy that wrote the article I posted a while ago…

Also, the “moderator” in that show is just painful to watch…

4 Likes

I have to wonder what they’re up to. There’s no way such an authoritative dissenting voice would be broadcast unless the state censor approved it.

Does this play into a narrative of “Brave, noble little Russia, beaten down by the treacherous West”?

I think the Russians are faced with a choice of either getting out of Ukraine, or massively escalating the conflict. As things stand now, I think they would prefer to get out, but they don’t know what the public reaction to that would be. They’ve been rigging the polls and shovelling out propaganda for so long that they’ve no real idea what ordinary Russians think.

I think this broadcast is probably a preliminary test of public opinion. They’re testing the water, to see whether they can pull out of Ukraine without collapsing the government.

1 Like