Shortwave Comeback-Ukraine/Russia Discussion

I think I’m done with ‘prepping’. I have bought everything I can think of for an emergency situation. The list is as follows…
Potassium Iodide tablets (for prevention of thyroid cancer from radiation)
4 x 25L Jerry can for water (food grade) - I already have a large water butt which I think is about 300L.
2 x Camper stoves
30 x butane gas canisters
1 x Brita Water Filter Jug with filters
100 x water purification tablets
1 x Life Saver water filter
1 x crank and solar powered radio/torch
50 metres of duct tape
1 x large first aid kit
2 x full face masks
100 disposable masks
50 mask filters
1 x Hazmat suit
1 x Sundstrom full face mask with dust and gas filters
12 x 1.5L spring water
Lots of food (tinned food, rice, pasta, flour, noodles, oil, dessicated coconut, glace cherries, cereal bars, squash, sandwich pastes, etc).

I still feel like I’ve overreacted but the more I read, the more I see people unprepared, how this situation is volatile, the more I’m convinced I’ve done the right thing. Putin owes me about £500! :blush:

But it’s only £500 - it’s the difference between getting through the crap that comes after the SHTF (if it ever does) for a couple of months. If it doesn’t, most of the stuff I’ve bought will save me money in the future anyway. With the threat of food prices rising, the food I’ve bought is an investment that at the very least will save me money in the future. I’m fortunate enough to live quite a distance from any major cities or points of interest.

Heck, I spent over £1,500 on a graphics card. I wasn’t sane in the first place! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sheralmyst (or anyone else) - do you think I’ve missed anything?

2 Likes

I’d say you missed the most important thing: A radiation-proof shelter with a ventilation system that supports filters.

3 Likes

Pink Floyd (well, what’s left of them). My all-time favourite band.

Specially re-formed for the occasion. First new song in nearly 30 years.

Post the YouTube link everywhere you can think of.

4 Likes

I once sat inside a Sherman tank listening to Goodbye Blue Sky. It was a rather chilling experience since the tank had seen battle. That was many years ago, I was maybe 15. The affect has stuck with me.

3 Likes

I’m getting soooo much cognitive disonance here. I see Pink Floyd, of all bands, perform eastern-european folk, that by what I understand of the text I’d immediately put in the far-right nationalist corner (nationalistic folk music is very big in all of eastern europe), which just doesn’t want to fit together.

It makes some sense in context, of course… Ain’t no fighting a defensive war without becoming at least a little nationalistic in the process. Yet I can’t help but think what happened to Bosnia after the war. I can only hope the Ukraine will do better and get the far-right under control when this is all over.

2 Likes

It’s not right-wing stuff. It’s a first world war protest song. This BBC article explains:

4 Likes

I don’t think you are overreacting.
These are strange, uncertain times & having a back up reserve of what you need is good sense. Won’t be any use wishing you’d done more.

It’s important to mention in discussions like this, to include in ones ‘preps’, some good health & knowledge.
Being physically able to walk a good long distance & to sprint if necessary is something the average person loses around middle-age. Get active, eat sensibly & alter your lifestyle to be a bit ‘scarce’ so that hardship is something you are physically familiar with. It takes time to get used to it.

Knowledge is currently just a keyboard away yet should the systems fail, then it is gone. Learning how to purify water, forage local foods, make/repair simple systems & of course medical knowledge can make all the difference if those skills are suddenly needed.
Add to these two points; ‘practice’. Actually, use the skills & equipment you have & learn the shortcomings. Learn your local geography & take note of what is where, should suddenly some obsure fact suddenly become a vital piece of information.

Also my final suggestion is; to keep your preps to yourself.
There’s a saying that goes something like: ‘We’re only 9 square meals from anarchy’. Hungry, desparate people will behave very badly should they want what you have.
Heck, people don’t seem to need much of reason to behave badly at any time these days. It’s a sad fact that you may need to deal with that.

3 Likes

A screen to avoid ads. If Donbas does become a WWII repeat, I hope everyone can get out now.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, I’m not saying it’s wrong, and that I don’t understand it in context. But I get chills when hearing that kind of stuff, and not of the good sort…

2 Likes
4 Likes

This should give a simplified view to cut all the ads

2 Likes

In my basement. Almost 11 pm. Tornado warnings going off. The wind sounds like it is screaming. I can only imagine what people in Ukraine feel but, this is close enough

5 Likes
2 Likes

I can hear the theme music to Putanic, erm, titanic, right now.

2 Likes
2 Likes

This Clearview story has two parts:

Unfortunately it seems to be predominantly the poor and powerless families whose sons are drafted, so I don’t expect a quick effect, but lets see. Communication has to start somewhere. :pensive:

And part two, Clearview basically casually announced that they’ve now acquired enough personal info from Russian social media to identify individuals, right? Not that this would be surprising, just checking whether I am keeping up with current developments.

4 Likes

This could be the worst devastation ever seen…well, there is still Japan, Hiroshima and Nagisaki…I feel sick.

1 Like

Putin looks very much like he is dieing from thyroid cancer…

2 Likes
2 Likes