Real Time Pandemic Tracker

BA.2 variant spreading quickly around the world. Too soon to know the dangers.
In the meantime, if you have had covid, you may be immune for 4 months. Any strain of covid may offer protection for 18 months. So do not depend on natural immunity forever.

2 Likes

Endemic phase pretty much confirmed now. About 10% of Switzerland has Omicron right now. Simultaneously. Hospitalisations are not going up. The thing doesnā€™t seem to care much anymore whether your vaccinated or not, though vaccinated people have milder symptoms. Me and my family are having it right now, picked it up from school (despite masks being mandatory at school, and despite me and my wife being vaccinated and boostered. Kids had their first shot, but now have to delay the second).
For us itā€™s not as bad as a bad cold, but itā€™s not comfortable either. More garbage in throat and sinuses, but no fever.

Itā€™s still possible to have a more difficult recovery, though. My Sister is having trouble breathing after going through it, but itā€™s getting better.
The government is expected to abolish quarantine next week, and probably certificates at the end of the month. There was talk about canning all measures, but the private eceonomy has asked for an extension of some, because 10% of the workforce being out cold all at once would be a real problem without government support. Masks will probably also stay in use a while longer, to slow the spread at least a little.

All in all, it looks like weā€™re done soon, and weā€™ll probably have to add something next to the seasonal flu in the future. Vaccine development will probably keep going for a while, since itā€™s pretty obvious that the current vaccine worked way better against delta than against omicron.

6 Likes

Pretty much what we are experiencing in the US. Lots of empty shelves and low staff. Hospitalizations are starting to come down. Recent statistics show that 2 out of 3 with omicron are in their second case of covid.
I feel there will be a lot of lifting of things here too, maybe by summer. There is a sub variant of omicron circulating now but it seems to be having little effect.
Hope you guys get better soon and do not have any long lasting side effects. For the most part, those seem to clear up with time.
Take care! :hugs:

5 Likes

Oh, yeah! You would not believe how hard it has been to lay in critical supplies such as diet soda and zero calorie beer. :wink:

5 Likes

Hans Kluge, director of the European branch of WHO, because of high vax rates in Europe and less severe variants, made this statement this past week, ā€œThis period of higher protection should be seen as a ā€˜ceasefireā€™ that could bring us enduring peace.ā€

3 Likes

Finally received my free covid tests from the govt. Also applied for and received 5 kits from the Rockefeller Orgā€¦now that I may not need them. I would say better late than neverā€¦but I canā€™t

3 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s a bit lateā€¦ From tomorrow in Switzerland, only mask mandate in shops and public transport, all other measures canceled. Woohoo!

3 Likes

For people in the US
Mask mandates are lifting however, in some areas you may want to keep it on. The CDC has put together a map. Green- no mask needed
Yellow- may want one in some areas
Orange- may want to keep that mask on in public places
I cannot get the link to paste for some reason so you will have to search CDC mask map

4 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

NPR: People are developing trauma-like symptoms as the pandemic wears on.

NPR: The latest COVID advice on testing, isolation and treatment with the BA.2 strain.

4 Likes

Smile! It could be worse. :smiley: :dizzy_face: :scream:

4 Likes

For those of us in the US
You can order more free covid tests. I think you get 8 this time

If you have not ordered the first 2 times, look carefully after checkout at the bottom. It should read ā€œIf this is your first or second time ordering, order more nowā€ and there should be a link to order again

3 Likes

OTOH, the kits expire within a couple of months. So maybe I donā€™t need 8 at once.

3 Likes

I have read that they actually last much longer but, not sure how much longer

2 Likes

If you want to deep dive into this article, there is a Download PDF option at the top. Very nice. It is about the emerging early warning system for new VOI. ( variants of interest)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01836-w

2 Likes

Currently have 4 friends with covid. One will likely not make it. Her aide gave it to her. Another has a son who had it 2 weeks ago then collapsed on her floor with a seizure. Now she is positive. All 4 have been very careful and still mask. 2 have non hodgkins lymphoma and unable to vax but seem to be recovering. However, it takes a couple of months to know you will be okay.

7 Likes

So. Like. Everyone I know is getting covid. And they are all still wearing masks and being careful.
The scary part is, no matter how many times you have it, the next time may do damage to organs that did not happen last time. The scariest discovery is that long-covid patients with breathing problemsā€¦they have discovered that covid literally lops off the vessels in your lungs that convert the air we breatheā€¦lopsā€¦themā€¦offā€¦ :tired_face: :scream:
The person I mentioned earlier that was not doing well, is out of ICU but with a feeding tubeā€¦

7 Likes

That is so heartbreaking!

I have been a bit out of it for the last couple of days Mal and I got boosted on Monday. Iā€™m beginning to wonder if it is worth it.

But trying to do something is better than sitting around waiting for it to get you. Or worse --pretending it isnā€™t a problem at all.

All the best to your friends and neighbors.

4 Likes

And my wife wants to know why we donā€™t go out to restaurants more often. Sigh.

The latest variant (aka mutation) bypasses immunity very well. Infection rates are starting up again.

Fuzzy brain is a long term COVID-19 issue that Iā€™d prefer to avoid too.

5 Likes