Poll: Nature of Emily

Since there is a great confusion and many competing theories on the nature of Emily, I decided to try a different approach; namely that of the “wisdom-of-the-masses”. The main idea is to figure out whether (1) Emily is human or not, and (2) if she exists in our timeline or if she is streamed from the future back to us.

I jotted down explanations for all the possible options in this poll here below, but please give me feedback if you feel that it is incomplete in any way. I’m looking forward to MANY ANSWERS - tell your friends and your loved ones! Let’s get some stats going here! :smiley:

• Emily is human and here-and-now
  • Emily is human and from the future
  • Emily is non-human (AI) and here-and-now
  • Emily is non-human (AI) and from the future

0 voters

1 Like

You forgot: Emily is an echo from the past

1 Like

Yes, I agree @D-C. :slight_smile:

Is there anyway we can add this ^ option, please…

Edit: Really, I guess…
Emily is non-human (AI) and here-and-now could mean she’s here, but Echoing a message from the past.
So, I’ll go ahead with this option.

Etarc tells me there is no way to edit polls after 5 minutes. @Balmoth @moderators could you please enter

• Emily is human and from the past
  • Emily is non-human and from the past

two options in the poll?

Until poll is edited, write in the forum if you think this reflects the true nature of Emily, and I will consider that as a vote.

Sorry I actually didn’t consider this option. Thanks for reminding me!

2 Likes

I recommend closing and re-creating the poll/thread, not sure that the moderators will be able to edit this.

The error message said i should contact the mods if i wanted it changed. So it’s possible for sure. Just keep writing a post if you adhere to the past camp (human or AI) until the change is implemented. No worries I’ll count the votes when the poll closes :slight_smile:

In that case you probably want @oldgods, not the ‘moderators’ user group.

Hears “echo from the past”, thinks “huh, I haven’t listened to Sabbaton lately”… :smile:

Okay my theories are…

Emily is human but was absorbed into the loop16 process.

Emily is human and due to some temporal time shift is trapped as an echo in a simulation from the future (or alternate timeline) that is transmitting data back through time (or across a dimensional bridge) to us.

Emily is an AI, her engagement with us was part of the controlled testing done on loop 16, ETARC was created to give her some grounding in the physical world, they gave her history and a background so she wouldnt know what she actually was. Think Shutter Island.

Same as above, but emily is an echo of a former living human that is now part of an experiment that explores the possibilities of uploading human consciousness and speeding humanity towards singularity (not the machine singularity, but the digitized hive mind HUMAN singularity, yes there are more than one, the latter is WAY cooler

Summary

[it even has my favourite end of humanity hypothesis, after aeons, having seen EVERYTHING. we dismantle and start again, only, how many times have we done this cycle? And will we inevitably decide, this is boring now too, and kill ourselves/self?]

and often overshadowed by the boring mundane AI machine singularity.)

Another theory is some weird mixture of all of the above. I’ve no definitive answer or one I favour over the rest, it’s constantly changing.

I’ve had a few more theories I, or partial examinations of certain events that dont focus on the bigger picture of a theory, that I can’t fully recall right now but they’re littered about etarc.

All I know is, whatever emily is/was I hope she’s okay.

2 Likes

Unfortunetly not even mods have the power you want.
We can edit option in the poll. But we cannot add more options. This is hard coded into the forum system to avoid evil mod powers trolling you guys. What I can do is if you recreate the poll with the new options you want, I can shift all the replies given here to that new post. But not the votes given.

2 Likes

I have recreated the poll in a new thread. No need to copy the posts or such, as I linked to this poll from that one.

Attention @D-C @LilLadyD76 @codex and others who wanted to vote on Emily from the past, please go here to vote again!

Note: If you have already voted, no need to vote again as I will simply add up the votes when polling is done. But important to have many votes as the “wisdom-of-the-masses” is usually correct :wink:

https://forums.etarc.org/t/new-poll-nature-of-emily/1858

1 Like

I just made this unlisted. As in ppl can still find it using the link you left but it will not show in the recent topics to avoid confusion between both topics

1 Like