3xperimental (Steam)

Topic for posting and discussing Steam 3xperimental updates or patches for NMS Origins.

The previous NMS Beyond topic can be found here:

A patch was released to the Steam 3xperimental branch:

Experimental Branch 23/09 :link:

• Fixed a rare issue that caused some planets to change or move their terrain. This issue affects only a subset of weird and dead planets in non-yellow stars, and only in some galaxies. The planets have been restored to their correct, pre-Origins state.
2 Likes

So my problem is actually different. My base is in a yellow system. Just a standard plentiful planet

1 Like

Experimental Branch 24/09 :link:

Hello Everyone,

First of all, thanks so much to everyone who has already spent time playing No Man’s Sky and letting us know about any issues you’ve experienced.

Steam users are able to opt-in to the Experimental Branch, where we have pushed a patch to address some problems. We’ll be rolling out these fixes to other platforms as soon as possible.

To play in Experimental, right-click on No Man’s Sky from the Steam library page and select “Properties”. Among the available tabs will be the “BETAS” tab. Enter “3xperimental” in the textbox and press “CHECK CODE”, then select it from the dropdown menu.

The patch notes are as follows:

Experimental Branch 24/09

• Fixed an issue that counted extinct creatures towards the planet total in the Local Information Register.

• Fixed an issue that caused new creatures to be marked ‘Extinct’ when discovered.

• Fixed an issue that caused incorrect creatures to spawn on weird biomes.

• Fixed an issue that allowed Exocraft to destroy volcanoes and other large objects.

• Fixed a crash that could occur when an NPC ship took off from the planet surface.

• Fixed an issue that allowed some traders to continue to sell deprecated items.

• Fixed a number of crashes specific to AMD video cards.

• Introduced a significant optimisation for large bases.

• Fixed a crash that could occur when being hit by a projectile launched by an entity that was destroyed before the projectile hit.

• Upgraded OpenVR to the latest revision.

• Fixed an issue that could cause Nexus mission to be abandoned as if the player was AFK, even though they had taken off before the AFK timer finished.

As always, thank you to all players who use Experimental and take the time to report any issues you encounter.

Please note there is the possibility that experimental builds may introduce new issues that haven’t been caught in test. We’d like to recommend that all players back up their save files, by making a local copy of the st_[userid] folder found here: %appdata%\HelloGames\NMS\

Note that we don’t anticipate any issues here. However, performing your own backups could mean the difference between resuming play immediately, or waiting for the next patch.

If you decide to opt out of experimental and return to the main branch, we strongly recommend resuming from a backed-up save from the main branch, rather than taking an experimental branch save back to main, which may cause unexpected behaviour.

Feedback and reports of new bugs/issues being found on Experimental are welcome, so please reply to this thread or submit a ticket to https://hellogames.zendesk.com/ with the phrase “Steam Experimental” in the ticket title. If you are running any mods for the game, please list them along with your bug report.

4 Likes

Experimental Branch Update 25/09 :link:

• Fixed an issue that caused some electromagnetic power hotspots to supply less power than before.
  • Fixed an issue that caused warp tunnel audio to continue to play after the warp had finished.
  • Fixed an issue that caused industrial power grid batteries to be used as bait for robotic creatures, instead of ion batteries.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a softlock when trying to purchase a frigate in specific star systems.
  • Fixed an issue that caused creatures to spawn in the opposite hemisphere than indicated in the discovery hint.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the portal coordinates for new worlds to be considered invalid.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause volcanoes to be placed upon buildings.
  • Experimental only: Fixed an issue that prevented the Terrain Manipulator from mining substances.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented items from unlocking in the Quicksilver shop.
  • Fixed an issue that caused framerate stuttering on PC.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some buildings to move, which could result in missions leading to distant buildings or in bases being buried under the terrain.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent games from saving correctly. This fix fully restores any affected saves.
3 Likes

This one fixed my base

2 Likes

@sheralmyst and @gunnar: I turned the Patch notes headers into direct links to their respective Steam page discussion.

1 Like

Hmmm. We may have to travel to a different hemisphere to find some fauna now. I had not noticed that before.

1 Like

Yes. I had an uncommon animal that was active all day and lived in the north. Very helpful.

1 Like

3 Likes

Did you see there is a specific mission to keep tabs on how many animals, creatures and minerals you scanned

2 Likes

Yes. Lovin’ it!
Also, you now get a Version Mismatch notification if you try to join MP when the public and 3xp branches are out of sync.

1 Like

Sometimes it doesn’t seem to work, though
 I was on a planet yesterday where I had found 6 out of 0 minerals
 The counter kept increasing, but apparently the mission was of the opinion that there’s nothing to discover.

It worked on another planet, but there I couldn’t for the life of me find the last mineral and3 flora types

2 Likes

obj

This is a planet I explored completely before Origins. At first we had our old discoveries listed as Extinct. But that was causing issues so a patch removed the Extinct classification all together. I wonder if the 7 that it states I have found is still somehow counting the Extinct discoveries from Beyond. And the 6 is what is actually available to find now.
So I scanned a couple of flora, fauna and mineralsobje
It adjusted the fauna count but not the other 2

2 Likes

I have planets showing example 10/2, 19/7 for flora and creatures
Kinda wish they had done a reset but just given ways to back up bases
think this 2 different system stuff will lead to issues.

3 Likes

Discovery Services have stayed down for the last few days

1 Like

I’m finding that extinct species seem to be quite happy to be walking around. When you scan them, it counts towards one total but not on the discovery panel. So if I’ve got 7/8 and I scan a crab creature on the sea floor I’ll get a message saying all creatures scanned, but the panel will still show 7/8. I know it’s extinct because it shows in the discovery panel as extinct with exactly the same name.

Now you mention it, I think the discovery panel is bugged and should show 7/7 rather than 7/8, although how an animal can be extinct when it’s walking around is
 confusing.

Have to put in some bug reports soon.

3 Likes

Yes. The living extinct animals have been removed in 3xperimental. However, the count issue still remains. I suspect that is why discovery services are down.

2 Likes

They don’t seem to have fully fixed it as I’m still getting them. Admittedly only one per planet, so far, and it always seems to be the seafloor dwelling creatures. Maybe they’ve fixed it for land animals but not for sea? Or maybe a side effect of the fauna count being off by one? All seems a bit mixed up at the moment. I scanned a flying trilobite and the discovery panel said it was ground only. It was kinda shuffling in the sky.

2 Likes

As soon as Discovery Services returned, all has been corrected

1 Like

I find the “other notes” somewhat interesting. For one they’re only visible in exactly this view, nowhere else. I assume they are just some additional flavour, but I wonder if they intend to use them as hooks of some kind in the future.

I was on a planet lately that had “evidence of ancient mass graves”
 Didn’t find any unfortunately, but it did feel a bit creepy

2 Likes