Latest Space Missions (& Other Science Stuff)

4 Likes

5 Likes

With Matt Johnsons third film finally hitting theatres over my side of the pond (Blackberry) and all the new interest in the moon from Indias recent ventures, I found myself revisiting one of my favourite Moon related movies.

Operation: Avalanche.

It’s a found footage film about the newly founded CIA AV department being tasked with faking the moon landing.

The production of this movie is probably one of the most interesting aspects of it. They thought if NASA knew they were making a film about faking the moon landing, they’d never be let near the place.

So they posed as student film makers making a period mockumentary about the moon landing, got access to OG mission control and got some NASA folk to put on period clothes and just give interviews about the project to cam, even got access to the lunar lander blueprints just by asking, and were able to build a full scale replica to the plans for the movie.

Theres a cool scene where they are in mission control in character discussing the plan, and they’re genuinely whispering because they’re afraid the real nasa people on the other side of the door will hear what they’re saying.

It’s real gonzo style shooting pieced wonderfully together in the edit and harkens back to old conspiratorial films with cool car chases like French Connection etc.

( FYI: Creative team do not think the moon landing is fake, they just think its a cool idea for a movie :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

and if you havent seen Nirvanna The Band The Show then I dunno what’s wrong with you, Canadas greatest export. Same guys :wink:

4 Likes

Some of You may know my obsession with the Moon & its mysteries. Well, i promise that this time will be last, i won’t torment You anymore with this :wink:
I don’t know, maybe it’s just my paranoid mind, but i feel like the numbers here are just a little strange.
What You think?

3 Likes

Location is everything. The moon is about as wide as the US. But it would need to be much closer for us to be able to see that with the naked eye.
And I see nothing wrong with those numbers. The ISS is so close to earth, the distance of it and the earth to the moon is close to the same. The distance shown is within the distance of perigee/apogee. Now if the ISS distance was outside of those parameters, then that would be weird.
And you have to figure in the movement of the ISS as it orbits around the earth. It moves closer and further away and is doing so in an arc to and from the moon. At some point the ISS and moon would be on opposite sides of earth, the distance would increase. Not sure what it would be but if the moon was also at its furthest distance from earth, then the ISS would be even further and if the ISS was between the earth and the moon and the moon at its closest, then the ISS would be way closer.
I wonder what those distances would be?
And here is a fun fact. The ISS also has a perigee/apogee orbit.
International Space Station whose orbital perigee is 397km from the Earth’s surface and it’s apogee is 405km .
All in all, the ISS is only 0.1% closer to the moon than us on the ground.
At the end of it all, this is rocket science.

2 Likes

Meridian arc
Anders Celsius

1 Like

Maybe we try other way, sheralmyst.
Moon in Apogee, distance from Earth = ~400,000 km.
Moon at 4/9/2010 (date of photo), distance from Earth = ~360,000 km.
Total circumference of the Earth = ~40,000 km (diameter = ~12,000 km)

Choose any possible position ISS on low orbit and you won’t even get close to 40k. Yet the size of the Moon is drastically different from that at apogee.
And as you noticed, 400 km above the Earth is so low value that there is practically no difference whether you observe Moon from the ground or from a station.

After all is quite simple, because it is NOT rocket science :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Personally i call it, Art of Mind control.

The moon has an apparent size change of 10% from apogee to perigee. Of course, it does not actually change size.
Atmosphere also makes the moon appear much larger. The lower on the horizon, the more atmosphere and the more magnified it appears. Move above our atmosphere and there is nothing to magnify the view.
You can easily witness this as the moon rises. Large on the horizon, tiny once overhead.

1 Like

Up North 50 ish degrees, nearly 10 min after the peak of the Eclipse.

Coordinated efforts can record the motion of the Moon at exactly the same time from many locations, and then use Parallax for size measures using known lengths between two or more points on Earth.

Identical optics, Seconds pendulum, Platinum-Iridium Metre sticks, and bowls of level still water.

2 Likes
3 Likes

SpaceX Starship update

With the FAA having finished the Starship safety review (Oct. 31st), there is now basically only FAA regulary approval pending for another launch, which according to Elon Musk could be as soon as mid-November.

4 Likes

So… can it now blow up on demand, or is it still an uncontrollable airspace hazzard? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

A new largest simulation of the universe has been run. This one simulates all matter in the universe including dark matter. Are we getting close to an ATLAS sized simulation?!

5 Likes

I thought reality was feeling a little bit laggy lately…

4 Likes

Euclid telescope - First images

5 Likes

Here is another, more extensive video, related to the simulation they ran for the Flamingo project:

Some additional links:

5 Likes

Starship licensed to blow up again! :fireworks:

Target Friday November 17, 2023 at 13:00 UTC (2 hour launch window)

Writen Re-evaluation :link: (signed Nov. 15, 2023)

5 Likes

Getting the popcorn ready :popcorn:

3 Likes

Deep Field

11 comparisons between Hubble and James Webb

After doing some of my own comparisons recently within Paint3d by playing with image opacity, and then overlaying them on top of each other, i have one question.

1. Do stars move?
4 Likes

Well yes. Everything is moving. We move within the solar system which is moving around on a far arm of the Milky Way which is moving thru the Universe. It takes 100 even 1000s of years to notice the stars in the sky are not where they used to be. The stars now are not exactly where they were when the pyramids were built. Everything is on the move. It is just not perceptible from Earth on a daily basis. For us, the stars seem stationary because it takes so long to notice the movement due to the distance.

5 Likes