Latest Space Missions (& Other Science Stuff)

There are cheaper ways for huge explosions, which would be short-lived regardless. I’d rather see a successful long lasting mission. A shame to see the launch scrubbed, but if anything is wrong, it is the right call to make.

News Update

https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/09/03/nasa-to-stand-down-on-artemis-i-launch-attempts-in-early-september-reviewing-options/

4 Likes

Tarantula JWST

7 Likes

Huh… If you showed me the image without context, I would have guessed that it was painted

3 Likes

Super Heavy Static Fire

That’s just 7 engines, not 33! :frowning_face:

4 Likes

One step at a time, my dear Pixy. :wink:

2 Likes

Neptune JWST.

7 Likes

Bu-but… where are all the stars?? :grin:

It’s funny to think that compared to the cold of interplanetary space, Neptune is hot. And compared to the cold of interstellar space, our solar system environ is warm. And compared to intergalactic space, the Milky Way is warm. And compared to intercluster deep space, the galactic neighborhood is still a scouche warm. The Webb sure has a nifty Polaroid.

3 Likes

And now we have a hurricane approaching so no Artemis launches
Watch this instead

4 Likes

NASA’s DART Spacecraft on Approach to Asteroid Dimorphos

Tonight!

5:30 p.m. EDT (21:30 UTC): Live feed from the DART spacecraft as it approaches asteroid Didymos

6 p.m. EDT (22:00 UTC): Live broadcast coverage of the DART mission as the spacecraft attempts to deflect an asteroid from its path (impact targeted for 7:14 p.m. EDT)

8 p.m. EDT (24:00 UTC): NASA’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) post-impact press briefing

Update:

6 Likes

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/webb-hubble-capture-detailed-views-of-dart-impact

4 Likes

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasa-s-juno-shares-first-image-from-flyby-of-jupiter-s-moon-europa

Is the image the not-very-high-resolution panorama with the long snow scooter tracks? :grin: I expected more water clouds or water fountains breaking through for some reason.

Come on, somebody just poke a hole in it and throw a gopro in, and live stream on Twitch, I want to see what’s in that ocean!

5 Likes

SpaceX Crew Dragon 5 mission to the ISS

Targeted to launch on Wednesday, October 5th at 4pm UTC with the following crew:
Nicole Aunapu Mann (NASA), Josh A. Cassada (NASA), Koichi Wakata (JAXA), and Anna Kikina (Roscosmos)

Space Launch Schedule :link:

NASA Blog :link:

Update: 30 minutes before launch !!!

So far all has been successful with the crew on their way to the ISS. Expected to arrive in about 29 hours.

3 Likes

Also interesting to see Hubble in the news again…

NASA, SpaceX to Study Hubble Telescope Reboost Possibility

NASA and SpaceX signed an unfunded Space Act Agreement Thursday, Sept. 22, to study the feasibility of a SpaceX and Polaris Program idea to boost the agency’s Hubble Space Telescope into a higher orbit with the Dragon spacecraft, at no cost to the government.

Source: NASA :link:

3 Likes

Update on DART Mission to Asteroid Dimorphos
(NASA News Conference)

4 Likes

Well this is impossible to unsee
NPR: NASA caught the sun smiling down on us, but the grin could signal a solar storm.

6 Likes
2 Likes

A Rocket Lab Electron rocket will launch the “Catch Me If You Can” mission on Friday, November 4, 2022 at 5:27 PM (UTC). The attempted catching is going to be done by a helicopter.

Update

Although the primary mission has been successful, the catch was not.

5 Likes

For real this time???

NASA continues to target launch of its Artemis I mission from the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida at 1:04 a.m. EST, Wednesday, Nov. 16. There is a two-hour launch window for the agency’s first integrated flight test of its Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft.

Source:NASA Blog

8 Likes

So, they actually got her on her way… By doing what every firework technician tells you to never, ever do… :rofl:

2 Likes

Finally! Had to catch the replay when I got home but it was very cool in the dark…or very hot… :smile:
A view not seen since the last moon mission

And another JWST image

7 Likes