What Is A Logic Gate?

Since Logic Gates are coming with NMS2 and if you are not a Minecraft player, you may want to prep by watching this informative and somewhat amusing 101 vid (watch for the Burning Man mob) :grin:

15 Likes

Thank you. I had not looked into what logic gates were yet in my digestion of the new information.

Fairly straight forward, but definitely worth knowing about. The video was a bit more in depth than I expected.

5 Likes

Thank you! One of my favorite YouToobers, always clear and succinct. Going to watch this while I eat a late breakfast.
EDIT: Now my head hurts. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Thanks to Xaine I now have a slightly less fuzzy idea of the concepts, but don’t feel like I grasp it fully yet. Therefore I have gone on a search and found this one that, even so, I had to slow down the video to 0.5 speed. Hope this helps others who are also terrible at maths:

You’re welcome.

6 Likes

I am sure NMS will not be too complicated. It remains to be seen exactly what we have to work with. Moving parts? I hope so. I hope it is more than lighting our bases with flashing neon signs although, that would be really awesome as well.
If you ever played Little Big Planet 2, that was also a good introduction to Logic Gates. Let’s not talk about LBP1…
I would love to be able to make a timed race course with triggers that open door, hatches, etc…and only a short amount of time to get through before it closes. That kind of thing.
I guess we will know on Wednesday.

7 Likes

Little Big Planet 2, or Trials Evolution. I expect the ‘development’ part to work like one of those games, in that ‘modules’ are patched together for creation. Like with an AND gate, you just plop out the module in some grid, then run a wire from the whatever that you’re using (Say, a lever), and connect it into an input point on the AND gate module. So the most one would need to know is which module is which and how they work with stuff. Pretty simple stuff.

Since the initial video posted here got a bit complicated with the explanation on the workings of logic gates in Minecraft, I’ll pop this up. I tried explaining logic gates, so bear with me, heh.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kPxegcnte5GOgp5v7DcttI2bBVNc3JF7/view

5 Likes

Ah, logic gates… The thing that is perfectly clear to everybody until you start explaining them using math instead of common sense semantics, then everybody gets completely confused. :smile:

6 Likes

Indeed. If you can’t explain something without using equations, then you can’t explain it.

3 Likes

It either works or it doesn’t. Sometimes you need 2 working but they might not necessarily both need to work to make it work. Alternatively you might just need 1 working to make it work but it might need to not work to make it work. Of course having 1 work will often make it work but sometimes having 2 not working is how to make it work. Unless of course you don’t want it to work.
Simple really.
:crazy_face:

9 Likes

I know you’re kidding - but people have written whole textbooks trying to explain what you’ve just summed up (pretty well, IMHO) in five short sentences.

Of course, the real fun gets going when you start chaining them together. Then things really do get complicated.

5 Likes

Lots of references to logic in NMS.

Sentential Logic: A formal deduction system is a means of reproducing the class of valid arguments. Such a system counts as “natural” if the rules reflect one’s natural reasoning about admissible valuations (truth tables, if you like). There are many such systems – some more “natural” than others.

Nada means nothing.

The NPC named Null. Null essentially being nothing or an unknown (Three-valued logic - Wikipedia).

Marco Polo is a game based on the notion of call-and-response. Marco Polo is not a location-based game because players are confined to a set space and because players must locate each other using auditory clues. Encyclopedia of Play in Today’s Society argues “there is bipolarity in the reversal of roles…there are repeated actions, a routine to be repeated, rules to be observed, and verbal signs to be used”.

2 Likes

So, if we line Nada, Polo and Null up just right, we form a Logic Gate. :grin:
I love it when the Lore fits into updates. It is as if they planned this all along…:thinking:

7 Likes

No! Logic gates can only return one or zero, they can never return null!

3 Likes

but since null means “nothing”, then it IS returning a zero n’estce pas?

2 Likes

Oh boy, you’re in for it! :rofl:

In programming semantics zero, null, void and nothing are four very different things!
Already in mathematics, zero is not nothing. zero is a value that represents nothing, and therefore quite different from nothing, which isn’t a value. In programming, it gets a lot more fun.

Zero is a numerical value, plain and simple

Null is a typeless value that represents “no value”, meaning it tells you there is no value, but it is in itself a value that can be checked.

void is a type that represents “no value”. In other words, you can only check its type, but not its value. In some languages (C++ most notably, where it’s kind of necessary because not all types are sharing the same base class) void can be cast to another type and by this may become a value, though.

Nothing, on the other hand, is an instance-less type representing a value that never exists. It seems rather useless until you have to write a compiler that must allow for proper error handling, when the concept becomes quite important. Luckily I never had to do that, so I never used nothing directly, but everybody that’s ever thrown an exception has indirectly used at least the concept of nothing at the compiler level. Kotlin went so far as to even make it a top-level accessible type, though it’s the only language I know of that did.

There, I hope I got everybody properly confused now!

7 Likes

Wow! Now I understand why I write Null and Void on a check I don’t want used. Thanks @jedidia. :laughing:

4 Likes

If only you could see me grinning from ear to ear…

That’s what I get for using a semantic phrase=meaning in a programming discussion. :joy:

That was a beautiful response. Thank you!
I think you won the internet today. :heart:

4 Likes

Thanks for this explanation.
That’s also the reason why I have being hanging here for the past two years!
:ok_hand:

3 Likes

Polo understands nada.

6 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes