Spelunking - A Tribute to Caves

Landed on the Edge of Time :grinning:

13 Likes

How did you manage that?

4 Likes

Yeah well, I started building my underwater base, with my base computer somewhere on the flooded cave floor. When I teleported back to this base at a later time, I found my ship at the location seen in my screenshot. I tried flying it, but had to abandon that for obvious reasons, getting completely stuck. It was fun though and worth a screenshot :wink:

I have since moved my base computer to a more suitable location.

6 Likes

Can you move the computer without deleting the entire base?

I have a similar problem, where my ship spawns in a cave. It launches through the ceiling without much of an issue (and without dismantling the ceiling), but still…

6 Likes

Through normal means you can not move your base computer without losing your base. When on PC however, you can easily do this with a Save Editor. It has the ability to switch a Signal Booster/Blueprint Analyser/Save Beacon with the Base Computer, keeping your base fully intact.

6 Likes

This planet had a very interesting cave system.

The average terrain level was quite high, underneath it was your standard pattern of caves with cobalt minerals, fauna and marrow bulb. However underneath this lay a vast network of tunnels that never intersected, they where just single paths through the ground, but far below the standard cave system.

Stumbled upon it when I had to dig 300 units down to salvageable tech and was assuming it would be below bedrock and inaccessible.

I fell a few short feet into the first cave thinking yep, I’m gonna hit bedrock on the next dig to find inaccessible tech.

I dug.

Then I fell again.

This time much longer than my brains internal autopilot would anticipate. Nearly lost a full shield (max upgrades) from the fall. When I say these tunnels were big, they took a full jetpsck with all s class upgrades to reach the hole I fell through.

This one in particular slalomed on for about 500u and actually went up and made contact with the surface, carving a massive canyon as it met the topsoil.

This is what you see in the photo.

I’m hanging out in some regular caves to the left while I wait for my friend to arrive (ship landing to the right) to help explore these tunnels. Maybe we’d find the elusive Sandworm :astonished:

The tunnels were completely devoid of rocks and flora and only spawned the toxic flora you find in caves and also toxic puffers from the surface were present around the tunnel occasionally.

Plan to go back and remember to take more pictures this time. Will also find a portal if anyone’s interested in exploring tunnels, some even stretch on for 1000u (friends are good for measuring distances with ease :D)

Oh I almost forgot to mention, when I landed in the initial tunnel, I was still able to dig down another 25u and got my buried Tech :slight_smile: never actually hit bedrock.

12 Likes

I think I’ve encountered that kind of caves once, though only once so far. Tunnels were easily large enough to explore by ship. Unfortunately nothing exciting in them, but it was an elating feeling none the less. A bit of a Moria moment.

It would be cool if there were planets with big caves where most of the fauna were cave dwellers. Kind of a “journey to the center of the earth” thing.

Who knows, maybe there are…

10 Likes

12 Likes

Frostwort Cavern:

I :heart: Caves:

10 Likes

What a beautiful and lush cave entrance

12 Likes

Ah yes, the potholes… They seem to be fairly common on viridescent worlds, can be near invisible, and can either be a nail in the coffin or unexpected salvation when you’re running from a pack of predators or sentinels… :rofl:

9 Likes

Dangerous plants:

10 Likes

… Full of oxygen or sodium. :yum:

2 Likes

wow please share the address.

1 Like

9 Likes

10 Likes

Nothing like a warm cosy cave when a storm rages outside.

9 Likes

@toddumptious
That’s an awesome image :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

9 Likes

Crimson space reflected even in toxic caves

10 Likes