Electricity and Piping 101

Survey Helmet upgrade is like using a metal detector. Lots of fun. Lead me right to a gas cloud.

4 Likes

I have no idea what that is :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

You will understand. Just follow the beeping sound and watch the indicator on screen. It will let you know if you need to go right or left and the beeper gets louder as you get closer.
Once installed, scan as normal then press right on D-pad to activate the survey scanner. Continue to press your scan trigger and follow the indicator.
I think it is a lot of fun.

EDIT: Has anyone noticed an increase to the sounds in the game. It is noticeable around items that are powered. The added effect of electricity?

3 Likes

I got them from the trade terminal at a spacestation, seems theyve replaced the technology modules.

2 Likes

I found that if you route your supply like this (power coming in from the bottom) by shorting back to the transformer from the light, it makes the lights flash like emergency strobes.
this is just a demo pic…I don’t have strobes throughout my base :grin:

5 Likes

It seems how you set up your power grid will be dependent upon your planet. I am using solar panels. This led to the discovery that my planet gets 13 minutes of sunlight to 19 minutes of darkness. (No wonder it seems like it is always nightime) My batteries were not able to get a sufficient enough charge to last through the dark. So I added more solar panels until I achieved power around the clock. (It also does not seem to matter if your panels are in the shade.)
It will be interesting to see how planets differ in the day/night cycle.

6 Likes

I’ve been playing my partially completed ‘test’ game which had a medium sized base already built.
Set up my power after a bit of trial and error. (Transformer requirement had me scratching my head for a bit).
I discovered I had a local ‘hotspot’ so built 2 ellectro-mag generators. Ran dual cables for about half the distance (since they can’t be plugged together) and then joined them there.
This combined with 4 solar units and 6 batteries allows me to power the entire base with no loss of power in the batteries allowing for substantial additions to the base as time goes on.
Added proximity sensors for my Teleporter and Appearance Modifier to save power and put my bank of vaults on a switch so I only need to power them up when actually accessing them.

…and now my brain hurts. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

It is easy to hook up power to a pre-fab building. What is required for the wooden, etc…structures?

1 Like

They have nothing.
My upper story and garden area were all ‘panel’ structure and all you can do is try and run cable everywhere. I had the advantage of a space between my two levels which allows for running cable under the floor, then up to access points. I didn’t do much because it looks terrible. I had lots of calci-shrooms as light sources as it was so I settled for that and a few less coloured lights.

2 Likes

I was worried about that. At least the lamps remain lit even when unpowered. Also, refiners etc…still work.
This would be my biggest wish right now. Surely they could add a device that could attach outside and power everything inside. A junction box, breaker box, something.

3 Likes

It does work that way using the prefab base parts. You can plug it into an outside outlet and it’ll power everything in every piece connected to it.

3 Likes

It never does. Shadows are a purely visual GPU thing, the CPU would have to do a ray-trace to determine whether something’s in shadow.

There’s another slight issue I noticed with the electricity, though. Storage containers are still accessible through the inventory UI even if not powered…

4 Likes

Thank goodness for small unexplained miracles. HG seems to have left a way out for all of those who prefer to live ‘off the grid’

3 Likes

Actually, playing survival mode, I find it rather annoying…

1 Like

Just don’t use it…:laughing:

1 Like

In case anyone was wondering how far the teleporters work…Im not sure either but pretty far :slight_smile:

1000u and Back Again - YouTube

4 Likes

If I can teleport to my Freighter, I must know. Get that thing up and running!

2 Likes

Huh… I guess they just needed a way to cop out of making a darn elevator! :laughing:

5 Likes

This is an intentional feature added in one of the hotfixes

Wanted to see if anyone is having the same problems. I’ve built the survey upgrade for the Scanner and discovered that I was fortunate enough to have an electromagnetic hotspot about 3-400u outside the buildable radius of my base. Going by the image in the patch notes I assumed the industrial tech items would be portable tech, able to be built anywhere, however that is not the case.

You have to build a base computer before you can place any of the tech. The hotspot was close enough to my base that placing another base computer would not work and so I had to pull up my base and move near the hotspot.

The larger issue here is that you cannot build (at least I can’t) wires outside the build radius of the base computer, so I was unable to run power to my base in it’s original location.

This is now causing a further issue as I’ve found a mining hotspot close enough to my bases’ new location that putting down a base computer will not be possible. This is creating a problem spiral as to be able to use the mining hotspot I’d have to move my base, which would leave me unable to use the electromagnetic field to power the mining tech (or anything).

I’m also assuming that since I can’t build wires outside the base computer radius I can’t build pipelines outside it either, rendering the supply depots useless as well.

I’m jumping in-game now to test building wires/pipes to see if this is a bug. Is anyone else having this problem?

4 Likes